Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

Picture on FB residents of nursing home sitting in flood waters💙

if it was the one in Dickinson TX (Kimberly Mcintosh daughter put on social media) they have been rescued.  National Guard sent a helicopter.

Timothy J. McIntosh @DividendsMGR

La vita Bella nursing home in Dickinson Texas is almost underwater with nursing home patients

Please know for those that may not be aware, these blessed souls have been rescued and are now safe . . . Heart

@momtochloe

Plus the cat too, has been rescued. (Background).

The water started backing up, and came up through the toilet, and 20 minutes later, this was the result.

They were in that water for maybe a half-hour, when help was able to reach them and take them to safety.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2

I shouldn't be harsh, but why do people stay after they are warned to leave.

Katrina brought to bear the disadvantages of staying for days/weeks in an area with no power or fresh water.

???

DD has friends in the H area who could have afforded to leave. We don't understand.

@LTT1

A lot of people stay to do what they can to protect their belongings from looting or damage.

Many stayed yesterday because they were told their area would not be affected.

Some stayed because they are elderly or disabled and had nowhere to go.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Also there are 3 million new residents in Texas from other states who have never experienced a hurricane.

Since it's been a decade since a major storm has hit the state, some of these new residents just haven't done their homework when these forecasts begin.

My grandson is one of them.  He moved to San Antonio about 4 months ago!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Geologically speaking, Houston sits on what used to be a massive swampland. Houston is, in essence, a displaced swamp so it stands to reason why it floods so badly. But this is so bad from what I'm seeing on the news.

And too much warm water whipped up

Respected Contributor

Apologies if this has already been posted, but the Weather Channel has a page on "How You Can Help  Harvey Victims." I don't see any links for retail on the page, so here's the URL:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/how-you-can-help-hurricane-harvey-victims

Beyond the Red Cross, it includes links to the Salvation Army, the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center, The Texas Diaper Bank, Catholic Charities, and Austin Pets Alive.

"Austin Pets Alive! is an animal shelter and no-kill pet advocacy group seeking assistance to help with pets in the aftermath of the storm." My browser is too old to get to their website, but maybe someone else can see what they're doing for the animals.

Moderators, if this post violates the link terms, could you just edit out the links? There's enough info so people can find the sites without them. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but the Weather Channel has a page on "How You Can Help  Harvey Victims." I don't see any links for retail on the page, so here's the URL:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/how-you-can-help-hurricane-harvey-victims

Beyond the Red Cross, it includes links to the Salvation Army, the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center, The Texas Diaper Bank, Catholic Charities, and Austin Pets Alive.

"Austin Pets Alive! is an animal shelter and no-kill pet advocacy group seeking assistance to help with pets in the aftermath of the storm." My browser is too old to get to their website, but maybe someone else can see what they're doing for the animals.

Moderators, if this post violates the link terms, could you just edit out the links? There's enough info so people can find the sites without them. Thanks!

@noodleann

Here you go.

https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurricane-harvey-evacuations/

Honored Contributor

We have several active Harvey threads, 

so I apologize if this has been released:

So sad...6 deaths yesterday:

http://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/weather/harvey/family-of-6-drowns-inside-van-while-trying-to-esca...

IMG_2737.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Here you go.

https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurricane-harvey-evacuations/

Thanks a lot, @Plaid Pants2, that will help folks get directly there.

I have an old browser, so sometimes when sites are optimized, I get locked out. So it is here, but that's fine, most people aren't dinosaurs and they'll get there.

Honored Contributor

These people were warned way ahead of time, but many people couldn't or wouldn't leave.

there are always the people who would rather go down with the ship than leave, until the water is up to their necks, then they want help ASAP and put rescuers in harms way trying to save them,

Others miss the warning and have no clue until it's too late.

Some have no transportation to leave.

Lot's of people are afraid of looting. 

Many are too sick, old or frail to leave on their own.

There are always those who will hang around to loot.

And some people are disbelievers. 

We have floods where I live too.  I have dealt with two floods that destroyed homes, lives and other property.  The first one I experienced was when I was 18.  We were warned.  

Personally, I never believed the warning and laughed when I heard it.

My father, however, lived through floods before and he took action,  he made us carry everything to the second floor.  The first floor and basement were emptied.  The waters rose to about six feet on the first floor and the basement was fully under water. We lost nothing, but our walls and floors were covered with stinky, slimy mud and water.  The fire dept came with hoses and washed everything out. We had no carpeting on the first level, only tile flooring.

Our neighbors were worse off.  They did nothing.  All the food in their home spoiled and the smell was overwhelming. Their furniture was lost, as well as everything else they owned.  

I have pictures of my DH in our boat rescuing people from their roof tops.  Our Pastor was in the National Guards and he asked me and my DH to hand out clean fresh water he provided to us.  We dropped big black canisters in many neighborhoods.

No water Is safe to drink in the surrounding area after flooding.  

The government stepped in and dispensed emergency funds via VISA cards and handed them out like candy at Halloween.  People had no flood insurance, but the government paid for new furniture and the clean up and money for clothing and food.

A couple of neighborhoods were so devastated that the homes were torn down.  The government bought their homes and they moved on.

This is America.  It may take a while, but the towns in Texas and the people will recover.  With all the help they will receive, it might be better than before. probably all new structures will have to be built to survive future floods. And, the people will be more likely  to take better precautions and leave the next time they are warned of bad weather.

i sure learned to believe, only because I lived through it... twice.

Another great non-profit charity that is actively rescuing pets in Harvey affected regions is: RPM www.rescuedpetsmovement.org. Please consider them, you can make a donation directly from their website❤