Honored Contributor

It would mean they're greedy and making billions of dollars profit and having a "healthy outlook" isn't good enough for them. JMHO.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

It would mean they're greedy and making billions of dollars profit and having a "healthy outlook" isn't good enough for them. JMHO.

So then you are saying that those pulling out of areas are NOT actually greedy and have decided that they have made "enough" and thus don't need the customers in VA and Iowa???

Trusted Contributor

Most companies will look at what areas are losers for them and evaluate whether it makes sense to continue.  That's a smart way to run a business, if you want to be successful.

For example, if your car is in the shop 4-1/2 days a week, maybe that car needs to go???

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

I've heard that.  It's scary what will happen to insurance choices now.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

Most companies will look at what areas are losers for them and evaluate whether it makes sense to continue.  That's a smart way to run a business, if you want to be successful.

For example, if your car is in the shop 4-1/2 days a week, maybe that car needs to go???

...only people are not cars!

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I don't think we will know how good or bad it will be until the 'dust settles'.

Hubby and I have a decent pension, but he will go on Medicare in Jan. and I will have to find my own ins. As of now, looking at what I would pay a month,  I would use up all our savings before I am able to get on Medicare just to pay the premiums.

I am hoping this is AT LEAST better than what we all have now even if it is not the best.

Sorry, but what is planned is allowing insurance companies to charge up to 5 times MORE for people over 50...and more over that if you have a pre-existing condition like asthma, overweight, high BP, etc. - common ailments as people age.

My state (NY) has community rating for all insurance plans and the new rules won't affect us. NY also doesn't allow charging more for pre-existing conditions.

And guess what? All five of the companies on our exchange in Western NY made money in 2016...not one had issues, despite our state's protections for consumers.

My opinion - having sold health insurance for two years - places that embraced change were successful - those that didn't want it to succeed - are failing.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I don't think we will know how good or bad it will be until the 'dust settles'.

Hubby and I have a decent pension, but he will go on Medicare in Jan. and I will have to find my own ins. As of now, looking at what I would pay a month,  I would use up all our savings before I am able to get on Medicare just to pay the premiums.

I am hoping this is AT LEAST better than what we all have now even if it is not the best.

Your situation is almost like mine.  My DH will go on Medicare in February, but not SS so he will have to pay for His Medicare out of His pocket and his supplement. When he is 65 and eligible for Medicare my PPO under his retirement benefits will expire, so I will have to secure something for 15 months for myself.

I was offered health insurance through my previous employer which I didn't pick up when I retired, as I stayed on DH's. I am hoping this new insurance does not disallow group insurance for retirees.  I can get coverage for 20% of the payment as a past employee of a health insurance company with over 25 years service unless the current laws change.... holding my breath here.