Honored Contributor

Are you lonely?

[ Edited ]

It's amazing how used I am to being alone.  Is that normal?

Just a random thought.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Of course, many people live alone. They do just fine, getting out to do the things they enjoy or having people over.  You don't have to be around people all of the time to be happy.

Honored Contributor

i love being alone sometimes......and make a point to be that way as often as possible. i find it very helpful to maintaining peace and tranquility in my life. i live with four to six adults at any given time and it isnt always easy, especially when three of them are your children. LOL

i enjoy going out by myself to dinner or for drinks sometimes, getting away for a weekend or staying an extra day after everyone leaves, or just walking/shopping by myself.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree It is normal if you aren't alone because outings or people make you uncomfortable.I like to be alone  too and actually prefer it at times but I'm never going to admit that to anyone but you...don't want people thinking I am anti social.

Trusted Contributor

Being "alone" and being "lonely" are two completely different things. 

Honored Contributor

I'm very much of a loner. I live alone, eat alone, shop alone...you name it. I enjoy being by myself most of the time. There are times when I feel lonely and it's usually when I'm missing someone from my past but it rarely happens.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of the time I prefer being alone to being around people, because the people I have to be around are hard to tolerate.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Of course, many people live alone. They do just fine, getting out to do the things they enjoy or having people over.  You don't have to be around people all of the time to be happy.

@RetRN

I don't get out and my friends don't come over.  I'm old and there aren't any friends left.  I should be all depressed about it, but for some reason I'm not.  I still miss my beloved sister who will be gone six years this August.  I can't believe it's been that long.

I see my kids and my grandchildren several times a month.  And I'm okay with that.

I'll probably get to the shore this summer, I do look forward to that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I grew up as an only child and my mother was adopted so we NEVER had a large family or a lot of people over the house or hanging out at our house.  I learned this as I have gotten older "Accept your situation and make yourself as HAPPY as you can in your situation.

I used to kind of dwell on OH, I have no one to hang with, etc.  But for the say last 4 years, I have made a mental effodt to NOT dwell on not having a lot of friends or going out a lot or hanging out with a lot of people.  I do go out when I can, I do participate when the opportunity comes my way, but I don't dwell on being alone.

I am blessed that my hubby is alive as many of my QVC sisters here are widows so I don't complain.  We work on difference schedules so many times I'm home alone just as much as you might be.  But I'm so thankful for the internet, when I get lonely or bored I come on line and watch videos on you tube, come on qvc and just keep busy online.  One can stay online for hours watching old columbo episodes, etc.

SO I say all this to say, no it is not always perfect but we are still blessed. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Most of the time I prefer being alone to being around people, because the people I have to be around are hard to tolerate.

@mistriTsquirrel

I'm familiar with your story, Mistri.  You're always in my thoughts because I have a tree outside my bedroom window which is next to my desk, and at least 100 squirrels that I see every day.  You should live here!  LOL

Formerly Ford1224