Honored Contributor

Re: Adventures in customer service from the other side

@IamMrsG wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's just the nature of customer service work, that's the job.  Sure it drives people nuts but as someone once told me...no one ever calls a customer service rep to say  "everything is great, your a wonderful company and I have no problems at all".  The work is 90% negative.  A lot of jobs are.

Actually, I have called customer service at a company before to express gratitude for good service.  

Then you are that one in a million.  But people don't really do that.  When they want to say something nice or hand out praises, they call or email the manager of the department or the corporate offices.  That's what I do when I want to acknowledge that a worker has gone above and beyond for me.  I want the higher-ups and that person's manager to hear it directly from me.  C.S. reps to a great job but they are on the low end of the totem pole and overwhelmed with their own jobs, I'd worry that my call would not be passed along to the appopriate management person.  Telling a c.s. rep that Mary Smith in Purchasing did an amazing job isn't going to do much for Mary.

Respected Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Laura14 You have my total sympathy as well.  I could not survive in a CS job (if you remember the episode of "The Office" when Angela from Accounting had to take CS calls and apologize to people on behalf of the company, I'm pretty sure that's my competence level at that job as well).

When I call a company for CS, I try very hard to keep in mind that the front-line folks often are not empoowered to do what I want or need, if it's in any way out of the norm.  My recent most frustrating example involved trying very hard to get to someone who could actually help me but not being able to.  Every time I called, the supervisor "wasn't available."  In the end I just said to the rep that I knew we were at an impasse because of their rules and that I hoped this call was, in fact, being recorded, because I wanted someone at a level above her to listen and know that the rules were incredibly stupid and anti-customer.  This was my 3rd call to the company to try to get the rest of a refund I was due because "they don't refund shipping," but the reason I got a refund in the first place was that the item I ordered was discontinued and never sent to me.  So yes, apparently I was expected to just pay for shipping when they never sent me anything.  Eventually I got what I was due by being a PITA on social media.

I learned a long time ago to not accept "no" from someone who doesn't have the authority to say "yes."   That said, there are wrong and right ways to do it.   If I cannot get satisfaction over the phone (and I document my calls, btw, with dates and names), a letter follows. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42  You go girl!  Good for you!  And I can't abide stupid.  If I have the ability to make someting right, I don't care what policy is.  I will do the credit all day long with proof the company didn't do what they should have done and it's obviously owed.  

Laura= GOOD ONE!  Smiley Happy

@IamMrsG  You know it!  I keep the liquor companies in business, girl! Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Some days, your scenario #1 was the story of my life. Patient on phone wants something that no one can provide. I explain this, and exactly why. Patient gets very personally rude and "demands" to speak to supv (who is always pithed off that you give them the call, never mind that's what you're supposed to do when people get rude). Supv tells them the exact thing I told them, using the exact words and phrases I used, and they're 'OK I'm good thx bai.' I could have handed the phone to Housekeeping and told the caller it was a supervisor and they would have been good.

Sometimes people wanted something "immediately", which we normally could not and did not provide (office policy), though we made exceptions if possible and if the person asked politely. Can't give it to me in half an hour? Give me your supervisor!! (Who also tells them they can't have it in a half hour, or an hour either.)

90% of the time we'd bust our butts to get something for someone with a critical need within their time frame - IF they were polite, understanding and appreciative. If they were the opposite, they simply didn't get what they wanted exactly when they wanted it. We weren't required to go above and beyond. Whether we did or not usually depended on the caller.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  Housekeeping!!  OMG, I'm rolling!  Smiley LOL  I'm gonna do that the next time someone gets a bit uppity with me.   LOL

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I feel your pain.  I worked in CS almost 25 years for a health insurance company.  I could write a book about the calls I received.  The calls from the doctors themselves were the worst.  

How many ways can you tell someone that if something is excluded from their coverage? the insurance has a contractual obligation not to cover it.  To do so is illegal.  If you pay for one person with no coverage, you could end up paying everyone else too.  You can't single people out for good or bad reasons.

I've been cursed out, yelled at and called awful names.  To my credit, I handle irate people very well.  So good, in fact, that all irate callers were transferred to me.

When I call CS I am always polite.  The nicer you are, the more they are willing to help you.  When you scream and swear, all they want to do is get you off of their phone.

@Laura14  Someday when you retire, you can think back at all of the nutty people that called you and smile,  time turns those hot on fire moments into funny moments that you can laugh at.

Hang in there and know that many people do really appreciate what you do for them 

Could you share your tips for handling irate customers?  I would love to know! Thank you 😊 

Honored Contributor

I can just imagine and people now-a-days think they can treat others rudely because we are no longer face to face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Another former CSA here.............."If you continue to speak to me in that way, I will terminate this call."

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I was at a hotel over that last two days and I was double charged for one night, the desk clerks were useless to explain what had happened, all I got is oh it was automatically done, meanwhile I had paid for the trip on a credit card and this card was for incidentals.

The manager was whitless as to why and why it happened, I was livid and wanted an explanation.We are not talking a small amount either it was a 500 charge to my bank card which could of caused all sorts of error, the problem was taken care of but never one did I get an I am sorry this happened or wow can we comp you for a drink tonight with dinner. All I got was an annoying transaction with some women who acted like a drone

When I left I aksed for the name of th GM aand I emailed her once I returned home

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I was at a hotel over that last two days and I was double charged for one night, the desk clerks were useless to explain what had happened, all I got is oh it was automatically done, meanwhile I had paid for the trip on a credit card and this card was for incidentals.

The manager was whitless as to why and why it happened, I was livid and wanted an explanation.We are not talking a small amount either it was a 500 charge to my bank card which could of caused all sorts of error, the problem was taken care of but never one did I get an I am sorry this happened or wow can we comp you for a drink tonight with dinner. All I got was an annoying transaction with some women who acted like a drone

When I left I aksed for the name of th GM aand I emailed her once I returned home

@I am still oxox   Hotels put a "hold" on your credit card for the amount they think you will spend.   When you check out, the "hold" is removed.

♥Surface of the Sun♥