Honored Contributor

Re: Adventures in customer service from the other side

Also address people by name - being called Mr or Mrs is a lot less condescending than being called ma'am or sir. 

@Laura14 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Laura14, I just wanted to ask, what is your experience when you have to talk to customer service ?  Just curious. 

@QVCkitty1  If you are talking about my own customer service issues, on the rare event I need to contact someone, I say hello to them, I tell them very quickly what the jist of the issue is, if I have a solution I offer it, if not I end with can you please help me or direct me to someone who can?  Polite, to the point, and trying to help them help me if I can.  Works every time.

Someone asked about how to handle irate customers.  The same as any customer.  

1.  APOLOGIZE.  The fact that someone is having to take time out of their day to solve an issue they are having with your employer, honest mistake or not, deserves an apology just because it's manners and people expect it when they are frustrated and/or upset.  And for the irate people, they just want someone to care.  It's usually where their irateness stems from.     

2.  BE HONEST.  If you know why the error happened, tell the person right after the apology.  That way they know you know how to prevent it and if it's something the customer can watch for and help police themselves, well, we're all in it together.  Very few people believe companies are dreaming up ways to stick it to their paying customers so they can bankrupt themselves and go out of business.   

3.  EXTRA EFFORT.  I can make a correction and immediately send an email showing the applied credit to the account.  People are impressed that I take the time to do that so they don't have to wait for the next billing cycle to make sure I did.  Everyone relaxes and they are loyal knowing if they have a problem, someone will fix it right away plus they have proof in hand the problem is solved within 5 minutes of their call.  It's impressive and makes my job easier because of trust and a good reputation.    

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Hello Laura,

Sounds like you earn your money!  Please forgive me for asking, you don't work for the Q right?  I may have missed something here.

Anyway, thank you for your very interesting post and enjoy your down time!!!

Cat

@Jackhound Mom  I do not work for the Q although they would be lucky to have me.  Smiley Wink  

And thank you for your kind words.  I didn't hear many yesterday so it means a lot!  Heart

Respected Contributor

Laura,

You are welcome my dear!  Anyone who takes pride in their job is ok by me.  As a long time shopper with QVC most CS's that do a fine job.  If posters are lashing out it might be because the have encountered a CS that didn't care about their jobs or customers.  

Have a beautiful weekend,

Cathy

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

A relative worked in retail and she shared many horror stories about customers......

How customers "bought" fancy dresses for New Year's Eve or a wedding and returned them after the event with makeup or food stains.............

Or this one customer.......she came in and bought school clothes for her 2 kids, and after they had worn these clothes all year, right before the new school year started she would return them because "they didn't wear well".......when my relative refused to allow her to exchange or get a refund, the woman complained to the Coporate Office and they told her to give the customer what she wanted..........so the smug woman came back year after year.................

Or my friend who worked for an insurance company and had to deal with customers that never paid their insurance bill but were as mad as all get out because their accident wasn't covered and they got ticketed by the police for failure to have mandatory insurance.........I guess the customer wanted free insurance...........

Or a friend's daughter who works for an apartment complex, and one of the residents called and cussed her out and even wrote a bad review because the tenant said he had friends stay over and their car was towed, when there are signs all over saying RESIDENT PARKING ONLY, VEHICLES MUST HAVE STICKER OR WILL BE SUBJECT TO TOWING!  ---and he even stated in his review that there are signs posted but he didnt think the car would actually be towed Woman Frustrated

Or people that hold up the line in the grocery store arguing over a 50 cent coupon with the cashier.....the cashier wouldnt give the credit because the coupon said you had to buy 2 and she only bought on....I think time is more valuable and was so tempted to give the woman the 50 cents so the line could move on..............Woman Tongue

Then there have been stories in the news about employees being fired for apprehending shop lifters.....happened at a home depot on the lastest news story...............

So I feel for you........... @Laura14 .......its not easy working with the public! Good Luck To you and I wish you the best!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's just the nature of customer service work, that's the job.  Sure it drives people nuts but as someone once told me...no one ever calls a customer service rep to say  "everything is great, your a wonderful company and I have no problems at all".  The work is 90% negative.  A lot of jobs are.

@chrystaltree

I've let both the employee and their Manager know that I appreciate that employee. I've asked to talk to a Manager and give an employee and the company a compliment.  And have even went to several company websites to leave postivie feedback on the overall company to let them know I have been a loyal customer and really appreciate them and also some specific employees that need to be recognized.............I wish more people would take the time to do this!  People are quick to write complaints or give a bad review on the internet when things go wrong, but seldom when things go right! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  That's the worst when corporate undermines you.  Our new owners are pros at that.  It emboldens the customers as you said and they become smug, abusive little people.  

I refuse to cater to them so they go straight to management.  You create the monster, you handle them.  Logical consequences for cowardly behavior.  If I can say no and stick to it, so can the people who get paid a lot more.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Spurt  That's the worst when corporate undermines you.  Our new owners are pros at that.  It emboldens the customers as you said and they become smug, abusive little people.  

I refuse to cater to them so they go straight to management.  You create the monster, you handle them.  Logical consequences for cowardly behavior.  If I can say no and stick to it, so can the people who get paid a lot more.  Smiley Happy

@Laura14

My relative was the Store Manager of the Department Store and had worked hard to get tothat position, but when that incident happened she was ready to walk off her job she was so angry that Coporate undermineded her decision because she said what that women was doing was actually STEALING those clothes! ,,,,,But since she needed her job, she went to her office at the back of the store, slammed the door and let out a few "choice words"...........

Honored Contributor

@Spurt when I was a manager I paid more attention to the unhappy people...needed to know what could be improved before it had a negative impact.The happy complimentary people reinforced what i thought I was doing well and that was also great to know.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Spurt when I was a manager I paid more attention to the unhappy people...needed to know what could be improved before it had a negative impact.The happy complimentary people reinforced what i thought I was doing well and that was also great to know.

@dex

I wish QVC would pay attention as you did.....................