Respected Contributor

Re: Active Shooter Not Located

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Police update going on now.

The shooter had a criminal past.  And he could still obtain weapons.

Martin, 45, had six prior arrests in Aurora, most involved traffic stops and domestic violence. He also had a felony conviction for aggravated assault in Mississippi in 1995, authorities said.

Martin was issued an Illinois Firearm Owner’s Identification Card in January 2014. Two months later, he purchased a Smith and Wesson .40-caliber handgun from an Aurora dealer.

He applied for a concealed carry permit shortly after purchasing the gun, according to police. During the fingerprinting and background process, Martin’s conviction in Mississippi was discovered and his concealed carry application was denied. He had also had his firearm license revoked by the Illinois State Police, Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman said.

Given his FOID card had been revoked, police are now investigating how Martin still had a gun in his possession.

That illegal gun was the one used in Friday’s shooting. 

Esteemed Contributor

I mostly work at home, but sometimes have to work in the office.

the office has one of those   gun crossed out in a circle     sign      so I should be safe, right?     

Not funny I know, it makes me sick every time it see it. 

thoughts and prayers from lawmakers also make me want to puke

two people were shot in downtown Plainfield on Thursday night also. 

Esteemed Contributor

Gun reform isn’t going to work.  If you want a gun you can buy on any street corner.  I believe it starts at home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Police update going on now.

The shooter had a criminal past.  And he could still obtain weapons.

Martin, 45, had six prior arrests in Aurora, most involved traffic stops and domestic violence. He also had a felony conviction for aggravated assault in Mississippi in 1995, authorities said.

Martin was issued an Illinois Firearm Owner’s Identification Card in January 2014. Two months later, he purchased a Smith and Wesson .40-caliber handgun from an Aurora dealer.

He applied for a concealed carry permit shortly after purchasing the gun, according to police. During the fingerprinting and background process, Martin’s conviction in Mississippi was discovered and his concealed carry application was denied. He had also had his firearm license revoked by the Illinois State Police, Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman said.

Given his FOID card had been revoked, police are now investigating how Martin still had a gun in his possession.

That illegal gun was the one used in Friday’s shooting. 

He had his concealed carry denied and his license revoked and his guns weren't confiscated? Or did he buy the gun he used illegally?

Respected Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

Gun reform isn’t going to work.  If you want a gun you can buy on any street corner.  I believe it starts at home.

Do you get the irony in your comment? We are awash in guns because we NEED gun reform. Other countries don't have this problem so I guess it's just the U.S. that has dysfunction "at home"?

Honored Contributor

Many People purchase guns to protect themselves from the criminal people who already have them....I don’t think it will be easy to pass gun laws as long as people feel they aren’t safe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

Many People purchase guns to protect themselves from the criminal people who already have them....I don’t think it will be easy to pass gun laws as long as people feel they aren’t safe.

It will be now, just declare gun violence a national emergency.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 lol...maybe!I am not in favor of owning weapons of any type just Incase you wondered.

Honored Contributor

If law abiding employees were permitted to bring their gun to work, they could have defended themselves and their co-workers against the mentally unstable shooter.

When children are not taught to control their anger they  become adults who can't control their anger. The children we see in stores whose parents allow them to do as they please and their tantrums rewarded with being given what want become adults who can't accept being told no.

Honored Contributor

Interesting to see this thread paralleled with another active thread,

as of this writing,

‘Ever Been Mad Enough to Throw Something?’

Hummm....one is emotional enough, as an adult,

to tantrum throw something but yet that same mind set

is also holding a loaded gun....eeeps.