Honored Contributor

Re: Active Shooter Not Located

@Greeneyedlady21  The same reason law enforcement needs an AR15. 

This shooter would not have had his gun if the police had done their job and taken it from him. We have enough laws, we just need them enforced. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain You need an AR 15 for the same reason that law enforcement needs an AR 15? If that's what you're saying, I don't think so.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@erinabriella wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Police update going on now.

The shooter had a criminal past.  And he could still obtain weapons.

Martin, 45, had six prior arrests in Aurora, most involved traffic stops and domestic violence. He also had a felony conviction for aggravated assault in Mississippi in 1995, authorities said.

Martin was issued an Illinois Firearm Owner’s Identification Card in January 2014. Two months later, he purchased a Smith and Wesson .40-caliber handgun from an Aurora dealer.

He applied for a concealed carry permit shortly after purchasing the gun, according to police. During the fingerprinting and background process, Martin’s conviction in Mississippi was discovered and his concealed carry application was denied. He had also had his firearm license revoked by the Illinois State Police, Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman said.

Given his FOID card had been revoked, police are now investigating how Martin still had a gun in his possession.

That illegal gun was the one used in Friday’s shooting. 

He had his concealed carry denied and his license revoked and his guns weren't confiscated? Or did he buy the gun he used illegally?

@bathina  Good questions but I doubt she has answers without Googling like everybody else.

All she did was c&p part of a news article.

Yes, after reading more articles it seems the shooter was sent a letter stating his gun permit had been revoked and ordering him to turn over his firearm to police. Authorities now know this didn't happen.

This is raising questions about the state's enforcement to ensure those who lose their permits also turn over their weapons. 

We know criminals don't follow laws. They're asking people who already have done something wrong, to do something right.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

@erinabriella wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Police update going on now.

The shooter had a criminal past.  And he could still obtain weapons.

Martin, 45, had six prior arrests in Aurora, most involved traffic stops and domestic violence. He also had a felony conviction for aggravated assault in Mississippi in 1995, authorities said.

Martin was issued an Illinois Firearm Owner’s Identification Card in January 2014. Two months later, he purchased a Smith and Wesson .40-caliber handgun from an Aurora dealer.

He applied for a concealed carry permit shortly after purchasing the gun, according to police. During the fingerprinting and background process, Martin’s conviction in Mississippi was discovered and his concealed carry application was denied. He had also had his firearm license revoked by the Illinois State Police, Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman said.

Given his FOID card had been revoked, police are now investigating how Martin still had a gun in his possession.

That illegal gun was the one used in Friday’s shooting. 

He had his concealed carry denied and his license revoked and his guns weren't confiscated? Or did he buy the gun he used illegally?

@bathina  Good questions but I doubt she has answers without Googling like everybody else.

All she did was c&p part of a news article.

Yes, after reading more articles it seems the shooter was sent a letter stating his gun permit had been revoked and ordering him to turn over his firearm to police. Authorities now know this didn't happen.

This is raising questions about the state's enforcement to ensure those who lose their permits also turn over their weapons. 

We know criminals don't follow laws. They're asking people who already have done something wrong, to do something right.

Credit to those quoted and more details at source:

“This is raising questions about the state's enforcement to ensure those who lose their permits also turn over their weapons. "

"We know criminals don't follow laws. They're asking people who already have done something wrong, to do something right."

Source

apnews . com/41cfc4666d2a4563a5188a064a7d94d4

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@occasionalrain You need an AR 15 for the same reason that law enforcement needs an AR 15? If that's what you're saying, I don't think so.

Sometimes the police or a person alone in their home finds themselves outnumbered by armed individuals. A handgun is not sufficient in that circumstance. If it were, why would the police need them?

Honored Contributor

I guess because this happened 20 minutes away from me I can't seem to let it go as none of this had to happen.  A 22 year old intern on his first day on the job at his first job was shot dead by a guy that shouldn't have had a gun in the first place.  For heavens sakes they had never even laid eyes on each other before this happened.  We need to find a way to link up databases to track folks that have had their gun privileges revoked and ensure their weapons are removed.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Banks send a Repo man to retrieve their car when the owner defaults on payment  but the police can't be bothered to send an officer to retrieve an illegally owned gun from a felon.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@momtochloe  I was let go over 10 years ago on a job because I missed worked because I had an auto immune disease.  I had only a little money in the bank but I did not turn around and want to harm anyone.  I just don't understand these people that take revenge.  It seems like they are evil.

@Katcat1.  Whatever happened to just cussing your (ex) boss out when you're let go from a job?  So much neater than shooting him.  I'm sure it's got something to do with the entitlement attitude many people have nowdays.

@Kachina624  I'm not sure if it's entitlement or isolation.  So many people are so alone and aren't connected to real people each day.  I'm not saying they don't interact with physical people on a given day but they aren't connecting with them.  We used to share meals together, gather with family and friends together, worship together.  That doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to and I think people are falling through the cracks.

@momtochloe  I think that is such an excellent point. It's that and sometimes mental illness, it's lack of empathy, dehumanization of our fellow human beings, violence being modeled and accepted . So many factors combined with the abundance and availability of guns, assault weapons, high capacity magazines. Also things done to facilitate people who are known to be mentally Ill having access to weapons.

If it were lack of empathy and dehumanization and not eating dinner together or going to church, other countries would have a gun violence problem too. But they don't. It's just the US. You nailed it in your second sentence- the availablility of guns is what makes us different. Someone said it upthread, anyone who wants one can get one on a street corner.