Respected Contributor

Re: Active Shooter Not Located

@occasionalrain wrote:

If law abiding employees were permitted to bring their gun to work, they could have defended themselves and their co-workers against the mentally unstable shooter.

When children are not taught to control their anger they  become adults who can't control their anger. The children we see in stores whose parents allow them to do as they please and their tantrums rewarded with being given what want become adults who can't accept being told no.

Do people still say this with a straight face?

Honored Contributor

I will never get use to the shootings, just never ,think about this can happen to any of us ,at any time.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Interesting to see this thread paralleled with another active thread,

as of this writing,

‘Ever Been Mad Enough to Throw Something?’

Hummm....one is emotional enough, as an adult,

to tantrum throw something but yet that same mind set

is also holding a loaded gun....eeeps.

Nonsense! None have thrown knives, pets, or children. None meant harm to others.

Being a woman, any average man can kill me without the need of a weapon. How often are women described as defenseless. Well, I am not willing to go about defenseless. I intend to even the odds which is why I would not wish to live in a country that requires me to be at a disadvantage, defenseless.

Contributor

@bathina wrote:

I used to jump all over these threads, but they've been poofed so often one wonders if it's worth the effort. In general, I think we've just become immune to these tragedies. However, there is still work being done. A bill for Universal Background Checks has been passed in the House just this past week. There are serious efforts to limit the number of bullets in a magazine. I predict we'll have much tougher laws within the next few years.

👏👏👏

Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Police update going on now.

The shooter had a criminal past.  And he could still obtain weapons.

Martin, 45, had six prior arrests in Aurora, most involved traffic stops and domestic violence. He also had a felony conviction for aggravated assault in Mississippi in 1995, authorities said.

Martin was issued an Illinois Firearm Owner’s Identification Card in January 2014. Two months later, he purchased a Smith and Wesson .40-caliber handgun from an Aurora dealer.

He applied for a concealed carry permit shortly after purchasing the gun, according to police. During the fingerprinting and background process, Martin’s conviction in Mississippi was discovered and his concealed carry application was denied. He had also had his firearm license revoked by the Illinois State Police, Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman said.

Given his FOID card had been revoked, police are now investigating how Martin still had a gun in his possession.

That illegal gun was the one used in Friday’s shooting. 

He had his concealed carry denied and his license revoked and his guns weren't confiscated? Or did he buy the gun he used illegally?

@bathina  Good questions but I doubt she has answers without Googling like everybody else.

All she did was c&p part of a news article.

Frequent Contributor

I wish there was a humane way to fire someone as you turn off the spigot for the ability to feed and shelter one's family...spouse and children. Until that is figured out there will continue to be retaliation by the unstable who presumably have no lifelines in rough times.  

Esteemed Contributor

the police had guns  they were shot first  according to early reports

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Interesting to see this thread paralleled with another active thread,

as of this writing,

‘Ever Been Mad Enough to Throw Something?’

Hummm....one is emotional enough, as an adult,

to tantrum throw something but yet that same mind set

is also holding a loaded gun....eeeps.

Nonsense! None have thrown knives, pets, or children. None meant harm to others.

Being a woman, any average man can kill me without the need of a weapon. How often are women described as defenseless. Well, I am not willing to go about defenseless. I intend to even the odds which is why I would not wish to live in a country that requires me to be at a disadvantage, defenseless.

Do you need an AR 15 to defend yourself,  or a high capacity magazine ? Is it a problem to undergo a background check?

No one's coming to take your gun(s) away. Nonsense! Or as some like to throw out constantly here without getting poofed, fake news.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@momtochloe  I was let go over 10 years ago on a job because I missed worked because I had an auto immune disease.  I had only a little money in the bank but I did not turn around and want to harm anyone.  I just don't understand these people that take revenge.  It seems like they are evil.

@Katcat1.  Whatever happened to just cussing your (ex) boss out when you're let go from a job?  So much neater than shooting him.  I'm sure it's got something to do with the entitlement attitude many people have nowdays.

@Kachina624  I'm not sure if it's entitlement or isolation.  So many people are so alone and aren't connected to real people each day.  I'm not saying they don't interact with physical people on a given day but they aren't connecting with them.  We used to share meals together, gather with family and friends together, worship together.  That doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to and I think people are falling through the cracks.

@momtochloe  I think that is such an excellent point. It's that and sometimes mental illness, it's lack of empathy, dehumanization of our fellow human beings, violence being modeled and accepted . So many factors combined with the abundance and availability of guns, assault weapons, high capacity magazines. Also things done to facilitate people who are known to be mentally Ill having access to weapons.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also lack of free/affordable mental health help is a serious issue in the US. And the stigma surrounding mental illness that STILL exists in 2019, very sadly.