Respected Contributor

We both just received calls from "our anti-virus security department".  Don't know what the problem was supposed to be.  We hung up right away.

Just a heads up.

Respected Contributor

They are driving me CRAZY (and believe me, it’s a short trip).

Honored Contributor

Last year I received numerous calls from India identifying themselves as Dell's tech support saying they detected a serious virus on my computer and wanted to fix it.  I know when I might have a virus, am covered by an anti-viral program and run 3 stand alone virus programs weekly. Probably, overkill, but better to be safe than sorry.   

When questioned, they even gave me my address, customer number, model and serial number of my computer.

Of course, I was suspicious, Dell doesn't do that, so I hung up.  Called Dell and reported.  Dell knew about it and was trying to find out who it was.

I suspect they had worked at Dell India tech support and stole customer information.  Unless they hacked Dell, how would they have gotten it?

Respected Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

There is zero reason today for this to drive you crazy.  There are soooo many options that block these calls.  I haven't been bothered by one in ages.  If someone calls and they are in my contact list, the call gets through.  If not, it goes to voice mail and is marked 'unknown caller'.   My phone doesn't even ring.  Nothing driving me crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Last year I received numerous calls from India identifying themselves as Dell's tech support saying they detected a serious virus on my computer and wanted to fix it.  I know when I might have a virus, am covered by an anti-viral program and run 3 stand alone virus programs weekly. Probably, overkill, but better to be safe than sorry.   

When questioned, they even gave me my address, customer number, model and serial number of my computer.

Of course, I was suspicious, Dell doesn't do that, so I hung up.  Called Dell and reported.  Dell knew about it and was trying to find out who it was.

I suspect they had worked at Dell India tech support and stole customer information.  Unless they hacked Dell, how would they have gotten it?

I had a call from a guy with an Indian accent - he said something about the IRS. I told him to go back to India (and then I thought he could be calling from India.) Most of the time now, I let the calls go on my answering machine - of course, they NEVER leave a message. I realized that yesterday and today - the calls have dropped way off. I think the gov't is setting up roadblocks.

Trusted Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

Me too!  I've decided to let all calls go to voice mail.  AARP magazine has a good article this month on scam calls.  It said people are not answering their phones, and letting everything go to voice mail.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

I've gotten a lot of calls this week from "Apple."  And I don't even own any Apple devices.  One even said Apple on the caller ID and had an 800 number.  I looked up the number and it was a known scammer. 

I didn't answer any of the calls - they went to voicemail.  But I'd better warn my mother who has a new iPhone.

Esteemed Contributor
My cell phone has been blowing up this morning. Ten calls in a two hour period - and I’m supposed to have something that blocks them. I just know it’s going to continue all day. At least two came up as “Spam Risk”. I’ve never had this happen before - in fact, I’ve historically been lucky on this phone.
Honored Contributor

The amount of calls has increased quite the bit this week  at our house too, both cellphones and both landlines (one being my husband's company number).  There has to be has to be a reasonable solution to it all.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee