Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER POSTAGE RATE HIKE

I don't mind paying more to mail in a payment for something, for instance to pay for my car registration plates. What I don't like is having to pay a processing fee to use my cc to pay online for the same thing. That fee can be a significant amount.

Honored Contributor

Where else in the world can you send a bill/letter for $.73?  If you look at the cost of postage in other countries, the U.S. is the lowest. 

Many countries charge $3 to $4.50 for their single stamp.

Trusted Contributor

I'm on the East Coast and I know that everytime I sent a little something to my nephew on the West Coast, I am amazed that someone will pick it up at my mailbox and deliver it all that way in a very timely manner for .75 cents...

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

Thank you for the heads up.

My company still does things the old fashioned way, checks and mail...

I just made a note to purchase more stamps b4 the increase.

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Jo1313 wrote:

I pay most of my bills by credit card..Really only 1 check to mail for the most part..

Mail service here is worse than ever..I get mail 3 times a week tops and my mailbox is stuffed. So I know they aren't coming everyday.

@Jo1313 I think that is what I may do - put them all on a credit card.  Getting the reward points on my credit card will be an added perk for doing it this way.

I have my credit card on file with many companies( medical ins.cable co ..power company)..I have to make a phone call to then in order for my card to be charged..If it's on file there is no extra fee.

Super Contributor

I agree it's getting too high.

I was just telling my husband I plan to start paying as many of our bills as possible with a cash-back credit card and stop sending through the mail.

This news of the price increase confirms my decision.

Super Contributor

@MamaWick 

I didn't even think to check our prices against other countries.  That's very interesting.

I wonder how well the postal services in the countries that charge so much are doing...

Super Contributor

@qualitygal 

Wouldn't it be awesome if it worked like that?  Smiley Wink

I can think of so many things I wouldn't know about!

Esteemed Contributor

Since I live where there is no home delivery, only pickup at a post office, over the years I have entirely stopped mailing.  I still have some the original forever stamps.

You can pay online with your bank, very occasionally with a small fee.  Bills can be entirely online too.

Save money on checks too!

Time to retire the Pony Express.

Valued Contributor

I would noy complain of the hike but I don't trust mail being delivered.  I live in a very safe TN town and we were tol not to use the blue postal boxes as people are getting into them.  I have mailed gift cards and family never receives.  I go into the post office to mail and at times it still isn't delivered.