Honored Contributor

The fact that you can always easily contact amazon either by chat, phone, or e-mail (which I don't do) has limited my eBay buying: in fact, I pretty much only shop there if it's for the occasional item that is not found elsewhere.

Resolution on amazon is almost always quick and successful.  Ebay? A pain in the tuchus. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,

I use quite frequently Amazon Prime and I also read the reviews of the sellers. Their CS is the best they even will call you or email you to make sure that everything is fine. If you go with prime you can return everything for free.

eBay has a different dynamic I would never buy their products unless there is a return option🌻.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 You are buying on Ebay & the seller most likely has Amazon Prime so they can list items on Ebay & have the item drop shipped from Amazon. If the item came in an Amazon box the price is probably cheaper on Amazon then the price you paid on Ebay. Next time you find something on Ebay you want to buy see if it's on Amazon & the price first. 

Amazon would not have anything to do with these sellers selling on Ebay. You would have to file a complaint with Ebay to get your money back if there was a problem.

@Nightowlz  huh?  I'm thinking @Tinkrbl44 was just comparing buying from eBay vs Amazon 3rd party sellers.  I've read your post a couple times and am totally confused LOL 😮

Respected Contributor

The last couple purchases I made from amazon listed TBA as their shipper when I hit the track button and it never was delivered by UPS or USPS but by an unmarked car that came to our door.  I saw him through our front window as he pulled up to our residence and got out of the car searching for my package first in the trunk then on the back seat and then on the front seat where he finally discovered it.  Didn't get a good feeling about this at all.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 You are buying on Ebay & the seller most likely has Amazon Prime so they can list items on Ebay & have the item drop shipped from Amazon. If the item came in an Amazon box the price is probably cheaper on Amazon then the price you paid on Ebay. Next time you find something on Ebay you want to buy see if it's on Amazon & the price first. 

Amazon would not have anything to do with these sellers selling on Ebay. You would have to file a complaint with Ebay to get your money back if there was a problem.

@Nightowlz

I have heard of this before, but have never had an Ebay order come in an Amazon box.  I'm sure of that.

Respected Contributor

I have never had a problem with anything I purchased directly from Amazon or indirectly from a third-party seller. 

If there were a problem, I think Amazon would rectify it.

Honored Contributor

I've purchased from third party sellers on Amazon a lot and when there is a problem, Amazon works with the third party directly, you the customer do nothing. You report the concern through the website and Amazon is copied on everything.  If the seller doesn't make it right (and they always have in my case), Amazon makes it right.

I had a phone call with a seller of a used book on Amazon a month or so ago.  I have both a personal Amazon account as well as an Amazon for Business account for work. For my work account I purchased a used book.  I didn't think much of it until I got a call at home at 8 pm at night from the seller asking me to call her about my order.  I called her (she was in Colorado) and basically she asked me to submit a cancelled order because if she had too many unfulfilled items on her account, Amazon would kick her off.  I will spare you the long tale of woe she gave me.  I assume it's true or mostly true.  Let's just say it was a Lifetime movie in the making.

The point of my post is that having been a casual seller on Ebay, I imagine that being a seller on Amazon is a big more involved and Amazon doesn't play.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

As a buyer, having had to deal with eBay and PayPal on a bad sale from eBay and having to deal with Amazon on a bad sale from Amazon's third party sellers, I only buy from eBay if it is my only option.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Amazon is a marketplace, similar to Ebay in that sellers list their items and sell them on the site. The difference with Amazon is that sellers can choose to have the Amazon warehouse ship out their items or ship them themselves. Amazon marketplace sellers have to adhere to the same standards Amazon has and they have to use Amazon payments. If there is a problem, you try to work with the seller, same as Ebay, but if they don't adhere to Amazon standards, you can ask Amazon to step in.

Similar to Ebay, each seller on Amazon may also have their own shipping and returns criteria, so you have to read their information and not just assume something. Most of it is common sense (30 day returns on items unused/unopened) and any damaged items are rectified. Amazon does allow some used product sales, but not many.

Additionally, marketplace sellers have to qualify to sell in certain categories (food, beauty, electronics, etc..) 

Many big, well known companies sell on Amazon. My employer has a presence on Amazon and I deal with them all of the time. 

Truthfully, knowing what I know, and as a consumer, I would hesitate to purchase some things from Amazon's warehouse directly, mainly like natural beauty products. The company I work for does business with a vendor that manufactures natural cosmetics and body care. The manufacturer (the CEO of the company) told me directly they don't like their products shipped from the Amazon warehouses, as the temperatures and storage facilities are not ideal. We ship everything from our own warehouses because they are ideal climate contolled and the product stays fresher.

I have only had 1 problem ever as a consumer, buying from a 3rd party on Amazon and it's my own fault. The seller was in China, but was the only one selling the item, so I relucantly purchased it bcz it was inexpensive. They shipped the wrong item...they did make it right, but in the long run I should have known better.

Other than that, I have not had a problem with 3rd party sellers....and I buy A LOT from Amazon

Hope this helps

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Nightowlz

I have heard of this before, but have never had an Ebay order come in an Amazon box.  I'm sure of that.

@Tinkrbl44 I don't remember if it was an Amazon box but the tape on it was Amazon so I know what I bought on Ebay came from Amazon & it's not the first time.

I just hate ordering off Amazon because their shipping is so slow unless you are Prime. I can pay a few dollars more or less on Ebay & receive it a lot faster.