Honored Contributor

I rarely purchase anything via Amazon .... I seem to do pretty well on Ebay.  

However, I'm a tad confused about the sellers that seem to "piggyback" on the Amazon website, selling the same items.   Do they go through a screening process with Amazon .....  or is this a Buyer Beware situation and you just have to take your chances with these sellers?

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: AMAZON USERS - QUESTION

[ Edited ]

I can tell you I had a major issue with a cellphone I bought from Amazon's site that was sold by a third party.  When the manufacturer refused to honor the warranty because it was a third party seller, Amazon refunded the entire $300 plus purchase price back to me several months after the original purchase date without me even requesting one.  I thought I was SOL and was just making Amazon aware of a shady seller but they made it right within the hour of getting my email.  

I have no qualms purchasing from the site although I do look at the third party ratings to be as aware as I can.  I prefer Amazon be the seller or at least be the fulfiller which they clearly mark on the listings.  

Honored Contributor

Some of the items on Amazon are actually in the Amazon warehouse.

I would imagine to list there would be a "member fee" of sorts.

I always buy from a seller with high stars.  Some participants do charge if an item has to be exchanged or they have a return penalty like a restocking fee.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

My take is that it is a "buyer beware" situation.

There has only been one vendor who apparently dropped out of the selling game.

I would have known this if I had read the reviews.

Amazon refunded my purchase for the item which never arrived.

They had also emailed concerning this order.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I can't post a link to the page because it will just get deleted but if you go to Amazon's "help" section under the "ordering" subheading you see the option for "Ordering from a Third-Party Seller" that tells you pretty much everything you need to know. 

On the rare occasion I've had an issue with an order, for example a used book with pages torn out of it, it was resolved without any problems. In that case, the seller sent me a new book but if they didn't have another copy I know I would have gotten a refund. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I have only had great luck with Amazon, even with thrid party sellers, no matter what Alamo will stand behind their products

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Some of the items on Amazon are actually in the Amazon warehouse.

I would imagine to list there would be a "member fee" of sorts.

I always buy from a seller with high stars.  Some participants do charge if an item has to be exchanged or they have a return penalty like a restocking fee.

She's not referring to Amazon Warehouse items though, which are actually returned items being sold by Amazon at a discount with detailed info on any possible damage. 

Third party sellers that have their inventory at Amazon are listed specifically as fullfilled by Amazon with the third party sellers name.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I can tell you I had a major issue with a cellphone I bought from Amazon's site that was sold by a third party.  When the manufacturer refused to honor the warranty because it was a third party seller, Amazon refunded the entire $300 plus purchase price back to me several months after the original purchase date without me even requesting one.  I thought I was SOL and was just making Amazon aware of a shady seller but they made it right within the hour of getting my email.  

I have no qualms purchasing from the site although I do look at the third party ratings to be as aware as I can.  I prefer Amazon be the seller or at least be the fulfiller which they clearly mark on the listings.  

@Laura14 I had the same experience with a griddle pan.  For me, it did not match the description/picture and when I went to return it I ran into the third party quandry and they could not have been more nasty.  This was back when I was a Prime member and to be honest I did not contact Amazon direct and ate the cost of the pan but it was a great lesson to in the future ensure exactly who you are purchasing from.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe  You could have knocked me over that day when Amazon said they were refunding my card the full purchase price from months ago for something they had nothing to do with.  And I am not nor have I ever been a Prime member.  In fact, I think I did a thread here I was so amazed.  

Super Contributor

I am having an issue right now with the delivery process on a third party - UPS attempted to deliver 1 time during the day and then just took it to UPS - somewhere undetermined - without even a note.  This was to be a birthday present for my daughter who lives 2,000 miles away from me in Phoenix. 

When I emailed Amazon they said she would have to contact UPS, find where the package had been taken and pick it up!!  I am not happy.  She is young woman, living alone and works everyday 8 till 5.  I have sent her many things and they either leave at her door or at the office of the apartment complex she lives, and never had a problem.