Honored Contributor

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

[ Edited ]

@febe1 wrote:

My DVD player quit after ten years. I checked all prices and consumer's best. Walmart beat out everybody for quality, price, reviews and 2 day delivery.

Everyone wants some of the action, and all want in on Amazon.

QVC was one of the highest.

@febe1

I'm not a fan of Amazon: my credit card was hacked there, bought from a vendor that advertised a name brand, but what I got was a cheap knockoff---Amazon did nothing, even my review was removed.  And have had difficulties with other orders I placed directly with Amazon as the vendor too...And I heard about people getting paid to review their products (of course always postive reviews since they were paid). I heard this practice supposedly was stopped, but it makes you wonder........Totally done with Amazon and I've survived! Woman Very Happy ( I shop Target, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, Stein Mart, Bed,Bath & Beyond, Dillards --sales are great!, and Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Best Buy and even Ebay etc etc.........

Well I'm not enamored with Wally World either................I went there yesterday with my sister (her choice of store-not mine).......she found some items-----one of them was a pair of jeans (she called me crying last night, she washed them and they shrunk).......and of course we experienced what Walmar has become famous for-----only 2 cashiers open and everyone waiting in a loooooooooong line!!!!----that is why you get low prices, they go with the bare minimum when it comes to employees..............I tried their online ordering and what I got was obviously a used item and the box had been just retaped.... it was missing the instruction manual too. I returned it and ordered the same brand, same thing from Target with perfect results!!!.....................

QVC relies on the customer base that has been with QVC since the beginning, and they think the hosts are their friends, they never comparison shop and think that QVC is their only shopping option because of the convenience..........they ignore the fact other retailers offer that same online experience with lower prices......(Just listen to the phone calls and read QVC's and some of the host's Facebook Pages)........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Amazon recently purchased WholeFoods. That's where I usually shop, so I have no idea what affect that will have on the stores.

Now QVC and HSN are supposedly banding together to be able to compete w/ Amazon & Amazon Prime.

Amazon obviously has a plan in place to get orders out quickly at the lowest prices. There's also no shipping and free returns (?). Can QVC compete with that when their website isn't up so often? Don't think so. A leopard can't change its spots. 

I don't think anyone but you even thought that. QVC "banding with HSN" would in no way be a stragetic move in order to be able to compete with amazon so comparing the two is silly and so Why in the world would you draw that conclusion?  Amazon and QVC/HSN have nothing in common outside of the fact that they both sell online. Otherwise, you are comparing apples to oranges. 

@HappyDaze

To your point HAPPYDAZE, QVC even mailed a survey to see if Q customers were moving to Amazon for their apparel purchases (since Amazon recently started selling clothing) and guess what----QVC customers werent buying clothing from Amazon, they purchased things like pet food, household items, and other staples not even offered by QVC........So I dont think QVC's merger with HSN had anything to do with competing with Amazon (and in an interview I read Mike George, QVC's CEO stated that QVC wasnt competing with them).....From reading HSN's financial reports I think HSN is in serious trouble --- financials werent that great and since QVC's parent company already owned 38% of HSN stock so they merged QVC/HSN thinking perhaps QVC's Mike George could do something with it...........It will be interesting to see what develops from the merger....will they keep each as separate channels as they are now or merge everything into one gigantic QVC???..............stay tuned! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

My DVD player quit after ten years. I checked all prices and consumer's best. Walmart beat out everybody for quality, price, reviews and 2 day delivery.

Everyone wants some of the action, and all want in on Amazon.

QVC was one of the highest.

@febe1

I'm not a fan of Amazon: my credit card was hacked there, bought from a vendor that advertised a name brand, but what I got was a cheap knockoff---Amazon did nothing, even my review was removed.  And have had difficulties with other orders I placed directly with Amazon as the vendor too...And I heard about people getting paid to review their products (of course always postive reviews since they were paid). I heard this practice supposedly was stopped, but it makes you wonder........Totally done with Amazon and I've survived! Woman Very Happy ( I shop Target, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, Stein Mart, Bed,Bath & Beyond, Dillards --sales are great!, and Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Best Buy and even Ebay etc etc.........

Well I'm not enamored with Wally World either................I went there yesterday with my sister (her choice of store-not mine).......she found some items-----one of them was a pair of jeans (she called me crying last night, she washed them and they shrunk).......and of course we experienced what Walmar has become famous for-----only 2 cashiers open and everyone waiting in a loooooooooong line!!!!----that is why you get low prices, they go with the bare minimum when it comes to employees..............I tried their online ordering and what I got was obviously a used item and the box had been just retaped.... it was missing the instruction manual too. I returned it and ordered the same brand, same thing from Target with perfect results!!!.....................

QVC relies on the customer base that has been with QVC since the beginning, and they think the hosts are their friends, they never comparison shop and think that QVC is their only shopping option because of the convenience..........they ignore the fact other retailers order that same online experience with lower prices......(Just listen to the phone calls and read QVC's and some of the host's Facebook Pages........

I agree with the Q's customer base, @Spurt. Plus there is a sense of "peace of mind" when buying from the Q: you can keep it, try it for 30 days and return if you don't like it. No matter what condition it is in. That's a lot of peace of mind.

If it's a couple of dollars to someone else's favor, I'll go with the Q. However, that's not usually the case. It's usually price, S&H, and quick delivery.

I've always been satisfied with Amazon, however, their prices are now higher than Walmart for many of the same things I purchase. Walmart gives you your two-day delivery, good price, but the packing is awful. Also, their return system is bizarre. You print out the email, no sales receipt, take it to a Walmart and they copy the bar code.

I've bought more lately from the Q. They finally got some things new, and I bought. Super Greens & Plant protein. And I actually got a pair of Skeechers that I didn't have to return for sizing.

I think the Q is so far behind Amazon and Walmart, who both are interested in "pleasing the customer." The Q doesn't seem to have that in mind. To be competitive you have to have in mind first and foremost, what can I offer the customer that's better than others. And a "I'm your friend" just ain't gonna do it.

Valued Contributor

I shop Amazon a little but I am very careful to check out the competition. Amazon is not always the best choice- especially price wise.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

According to who are QVC nd HSN banding together to compete with Amazon Prime? Link to your source? Yes we all know that the parent company of QVC is buying HSN, but where does it say that the reason is to compete with Amazon? 

Personally I don't see how the QVC parent company buying HSN has anything to do with Amazon or Prime. Amazons business model has no relation to QVC or HSNs business model. 

I'm the source. IMO, Amazon can't be beat for price and service. Companies are trying to compete and copy their way of doing business. Their success is causing retailers (B&M and shopping channels and websites) to evaluate their relationship with consumers.

Just as I thought.  Sigh.

@Pearlee there are articles that are also supporting this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/qvc-buys-hsn-to-battle-amazon/

For me, they can wrap it in whatever bow they want but this just means more consolidation and more lost jobs as I find it very hard to believe Liberty will support running two separate networks.

Honored Contributor

I've always heard that Amazon is a good company to work for, at least out here.    I can certainly see that maybe there could be problems here and there and/or disgruntled ex-employees.  But, over all, I've always heard that they are a good company to work for.

Valued Contributor

@Sunshine Kate Smiley LOL

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

I think on average Amazon does well by their employees.  I worked in IT for decades and some of the stories I read about what goes on there is replicated through any number of companies as we have read in the headlines these past few months.

It's also my understanding that they treat their warehouse workers better than most but to be honest it's still a tough way to make a living.  Those warehouses (even the better run ones) are usually hot and they do not give you a moment's peace to catch your breath.  Better prices for consumers but at what cost to the workforce.  There has to be a better balance.

Now they are purchasing WF.  It's my understanding the WF workers are worried about what is going to happen to them and to be honest I don't blame them.  I was an Amazon Prime subscriber for decades but due to a change in my circumstances I no longer am.  I always wish them the very best as I never had a single complaint about Prime but to be brutally honest for me I am more than concerned how they are gobbling up so many companies as we need some balance between behemoths like Amazon and companies that serve our communities.

Trusted Contributor

I've placed two orders this week with Amazon Prime. First one was a day late. Second one was supposed to be here today and now the USPS says it wont be here until Monday.

I probably wont get Prime again. I can find better deals other places that offer sales and free shipping with a certain amount.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, QVC (with or without Zulily and HSN) can't compete with Amazon. That said, for me Amazon's strength lies in its variety. I can't say their prices are always the best and frankly, I'm beginning to find browsing page after page after page is sort of a turn-off. Amazon works best for me when I know what I'm seeking, but not so well when I just want to browse. Still, with or without Amazon, QVC has ceased to be a retail destination for me. Prices, product availability, limited variety, slow order processing and shipping and shipping costs are't motivators. There are a few things I might have purchased from QVC rather than elsewhere, but too many products are too frequently out of stock and not re-stocked quickly enough. And yes, this website is too often a travesty.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...