Honored Contributor

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

@Spurt wrote:

Well I think Amazon may have bitten off more than they can handle by getting into the grocery business to add to their retail, and their electronic division..........Walmart did the same and found out it's grocery shoppers found better bargains and selection in other stores and what they gained in groceries they lost in other departments, people went to other stores to shop (especially apparel of all things)......And Walmart did close some of it's Sam's Stores, so even "mighty" WalMart experienced declines when they put their effots on one side of the retail business but they lost in another sector..............I think one of these days Amazon is going too far in expansion and then start to decline.......They have a rather odd business model not typical for retail where they dont save for bad times and just reinvest what they make.....if the economy turns, watch out!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesinsights/2015/02/24/walmarts-7-billion-gift-to-kohls/2/#7e3844684...

The difference might be, @Spurt, that Whole Foods never catered to bargain shoppers... Also, Amazon won't be cutting 'floor space' to offer groceries as Walmart, Target and so many others did.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Mr. George might be saying now that QVC is not competing with Amazon, probably because he knows he can't, but I do believe he has thrown that name, and a few other somewhat ridiculous comparisons, out in press releases of the past...

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Well I think Amazon may have bitten off more than they can handle by getting into the grocery business to add to their retail, and their electronic division..........Walmart did the same and found out it's grocery shoppers found better bargains and selection in other stores and what they gained in groceries they lost in other departments, people went to other stores to shop (especially apparel of all things)......And Walmart did close some of it's Sam's Stores, so even "mighty" WalMart experienced declines when they put their effots on one side of the retail business but they lost in another sector..............I think one of these days Amazon is going too far in expansion and then start to decline.......They have a rather odd business model not typical for retail where they dont save for bad times and just reinvest what they make.....if the economy turns, watch out!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesinsights/2015/02/24/walmarts-7-billion-gift-to-kohls/2/#7e3844684...

@Spurt I think you just may be right my friend.  I think Amazon may have waded into an area that they may not have the depth of perception they may need meaning having your groceries delivered is nice especially if you need help or if you are not feeling well but on the other hand I do not want someone else picking out what I am planning on preparing.  There are a lot of terrific smaller groceries stores in my area that offer delivery if you need it and I would never consider Amazon over them as I want to support our local businesses.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My take on Liberty's acquisition of HSN is that they might opt to take it in a whole different direction. I recently got a very detailed and lengthy survey from HSN in which they asked me to prioritize any number of retail ventures and options. Like others, I think the handwriting is on the wall with respect to TV shopping and it seemed to me based on the questions being asked that business as usual wasn't part of the plan for HSN. If that's the case, then it's possible you might see some significant changes on QVC's multiple channels as they try to incorporate some of HSN's offerings and a significantly different shopping paradigm being offered as part of HSN's operation. I will say that the areas that they seemed to want survey respondents to focus upon held little interest for me. That said, I'm shopping very little with any of the TV home shopping retailers these days and when I do, it's almost never based on the on-air operation and I honestly think there's very little they can do at this point to bring me back into the fold. 

Edited to note that my (and others...) speculation about potential changes is just that, pure speculation...

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Spurt I think you just may be right my friend.  I think Amazon may have waded into an area that they may not have the depth of perception they may need meaning having your groceries delivered is nice especially if you need help or if you are not feeling well but on the other hand I do not want someone else picking out what I am planning on preparing.  There are a lot of terrific smaller groceries stores in my area that offer delivery if you need it and I would never consider Amazon over them as I want to support our local businesses.

@momtochloe In my area, the larger chain markets offer delivery and while I've not tried it, those I know who have were pleased with what they received. That said, these are not 'local markets' but rather Safeway, Giant etc... Unfortunately, in my region, there are no independent markets that I know of, as they've almost all been run to ground by the big chains. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

My take on Liberty's acquisition of HSN is that they might opt to take it in a whole different direction. I recently got a very detailed and lengthy survey from HSN in which they asked me to prioritize any number of retail ventures and options. Like others, I think the handwriting is on the wall with respect to TV shopping and it seemed to me based on the questions being asked that business as usual wasn't part of the plan for HSN. If that's the case, then it's possible you might see some significant changes on QVC's multiple channels as they try to incorporate some of HSN's offerings and a significantly different shopping paradigm being offered as part of HSN's operation. I will say that the areas that they seemed to want survey respondents to focus upon held little interest for me. That said, I'm shopping very little with any of the TV home shopping retailers these days and when I do, it's almost never based on the on-air operation and I honestly think there's very little they can do at this point to bring me back into the fold. 

Edited to note that my (and others...) speculation about potential changes is just that, pure speculation...

Same here @stevieb. I never really was into home shopping channels anyway  but it got old real fast. I prefer to just check things out online to see if anything is on sale or of interest.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe In my area, the larger chain markets offer delivery and while I've not tried it, those I know who have were pleased with what they received. That said, these are not 'local markets' but rather Safeway, Giant etc... Unfortunately, in my region, there are no independent markets that I know of, as they've almost all been run to ground by the big chains. 

@stevieb I hope if it's possible that the changes for your area are reversible as for decades around here we were dominated by two large grocery chains but once one went under there has been a terrific resurgence of smaller, more nimble stores that are fun to shop in.  I so hope this continues as I don't want to see them eventually get swallowed up.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Same here @stevieb. I never really was into home shopping channels anyway  but it got old real fast. I prefer to just check things out online to see if anything is on sale or of interest.

@HappyDaze I was hooked for a few years and then two things happened, I sort of woke up to the fact that I just didn't want or need to keep buying at the same time they jumped on the narrow branding bandwagon and concurrently their programming became unwatchable. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb I hope if it's possible that the changes for your area are reversible as for decades around here we were dominated by two large grocery chains but once one went under there has been a terrific resurgence of smaller, more nimble stores that are fun to shop in.  I so hope this continues as I don't want to see them eventually get swallowed up.

Sorry to say @momtochloe that I don't see it happening around here... Growing up, I remember a handful of small independent grocery stores but the supermarkets have done them all in. There's been a big uptick in farmer's markets, but it's not really the same and their prices are generally high.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe @stevieb

Our large grocery store chain offers delivery already, .(and they ran off all the national chains too)...........While it would be helpful for heavy things like those 25 or 30 lb bags of cat litter to be delivered to your door......but what would one gain by going wth Amazon over local delivery.?????  I dont get it...............And Whole Foods is more of a speciality chain also offering healthy brands but not much of the mainstream stuff............

We have some Targets with groceries and of course Wally World......Trader Joes doesnt seem to attract much attention.......The main competition for our main chain HEB is Costco.........but for me buying in bulk doesnt make sense, and for buying other items---I can still find better prices elsewhere....a friend has a Costco membership and she got a better deal on her TV at Best Buy............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”