Contributor

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brandiwine wrote:

According to our local FOX news station QVC and HSN made far less than expected last year.  The Q in the 8 billion mark and HSN at the 3 billion mark.  As with any merger or buyout, they will cut operating costs.  I would imagiine it will result in lower quality and higher prices for consumers.

I've been using Amazon for years now.  Free shipping for the most part and free returns.  Their CS is fantastic.  Perhaps it's the beginning of the end for home shopping channels.

I totally agree.  The Q had a survey on the other day.  I took it.  Questions about Amazon.  I told them I buy from Amazon and rarely from QVC.   Although QVC is on the computer.....it truely might be the end.

I buy items in bulk from Amazon.  I buy food from Amazon & I buy clothes from Amazon.

Respected Contributor

I am a huge Amazon shopper but rarely buy clothes. Have shoes yes.  Any time I have had an issue it has been handled to my satisfaction and even told me to keep the old item. A couple third party vendor sales had damaged goods and after one large item was put together it was defective. They told me to ship it back..I told the vendor no issues but you are sending a box and the packing place to repack it..as I am not hiring somebody that I just paid to put it together to take it apart. I received an email not to send it back they will just refund my money. If you have Prime and they scan your return your refund is immediately credited.

I have not used the Pantry at Amazon yet but have a few free pantry orders due to choosing the not two-day delivery option.

I always check items first on Amazon and sometimes if it is a dollar more will get it anyway as I don't have to go to the store ..its delivered in two days. On the rare occasion it was over a day it was no their fault but the delivery guy.

I think the Q and HSN  have a customer base that won't go away..a lot of homebound older ladies who have too much money and time on their hands and if they don't have money they have easy pay...the hosts act like they are their friends and buddy's and surely if she loves it than I will.

Walmart is Walmart.

Super Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Amazon also has their employees on the run too.  It's not the best place to work.  Imagine trying to pick, pack and load all of the merchandise within hours of it being ordered.

Their employee turnover rate is high.  People quit because of stress and many are fired for low production.  They work 10 hour days when it is too hot and when it is too cold.

Here in PA, they had to take people to the hospital in ambulances in droves because they had heat stroke and they still made the employees who were still standing up work. 

Please tell me this isn't true----someone....anyone????

I've never ordered from Amazon, but do shop at WF. 

Don't want to see quality go down for the sake of quantity.  Will walk away, if so --fast....because I can.

I REFUSE TO SHOP AMAZON!!!... I do shop WF, at times...  A while back, I read ( from a reputable magazine ) how Bezos mistreats & berates his employees; & for me I cannot support someone who does this to another human being... 

Regular Contributor

@classic wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Amazon also has their employees on the run too.  It's not the best place to work.  Imagine trying to pick, pack and load all of the merchandise within hours of it being ordered.

Their employee turnover rate is high.  People quit because of stress and many are fired for low production.  They work 10 hour days when it is too hot and when it is too cold.

Here in PA, they had to take people to the hospital in ambulances in droves because they had heat stroke and they still made the employees who were still standing up work. 

Don't want to see quality go down for the sake of quantity.  Will walk away, if so --fast....because I can.

I REFUSE TO SHOP AMAZON!!!... I do shop WF, at times...  A while back, I read ( from a reputable magazine ) how Bezos mistreats & berates his employees; & for me I cannot support someone who does this to another human being... 

Can someone tell us where they read these terrible things anout Amazon treatment of employees?

Respected Contributor

@luvmydoggies wrote:

@classic wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Can someone tell us where they read these terrible things anout Amazon treatment of employees?

Yeah I have seen where the CEO as well as other former and present employees say this story is false.  So I don't agree with a reply that has nothing to back it up.

Regular Contributor

My family uses and loves Amazon. Jmho but I don't see QVC or HSN catching up. Too far behind already I think.

Occasional Contributor

That story about the treatment of their employees was a segment on 60 Minutes, quite awhile ago. I think it was on 60 Minutes. The employees are run ragged trying to get those orders out. Each order is given to a particular employee who has to run aound different areas of the warehouse (if the items are all in that warehouse) and gather every single item you ordered & put into one location for someone else to package up. They are then given another list & they are off again. Interviewing some said they " run" to these areas for merchandise because they are expected to fill so many a day. So many just quit they can.t stand it. At QVC & HSN, each item is already boxed by the vendor & stored in a warehouse that uses a belt system to deliver your item to the shipping dept. That's why they aren't shipped in the same package & shipping costs are so high. Their automated system isn't designed to package all yor items together. But, Amazon makes their employees their "automated" system.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree Amazon most definitely has retailers "on the run." They may or may not catch up, but I just read about Walmart aggressively going for 95% perfection in on-time deliveries, packing. Penalties for failures. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Lucky Charmand @Carmie

I looked into it and it's true, but it seems to have been confined to that one warehouse in PA and is not general practice.

I hope Amazon dumped all managers etc. in PA and got good people in there.