Honored Contributor

AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

Amazon recently purchased WholeFoods. That's where I usually shop, so I have no idea what affect that will have on the stores.

Now QVC and HSN are supposedly banding together to be able to compete w/ Amazon & Amazon Prime.

Amazon obviously has a plan in place to get orders out quickly at the lowest prices. There's also no shipping and free returns (?). Can QVC compete with that when their website isn't up so often? Don't think so. A leopard can't change its spots. 

Honored Contributor

Re: AMAZON HAS RETAILERS ON THE RUN

According to who are QVC nd HSN banding together to compete with Amazon Prime? Link to your source? Yes we all know that the parent company of QVC is buying HSN, but where does it say that the reason is to compete with Amazon? 

Personally I don't see how the QVC parent company buying HSN has anything to do with Amazon or Prime. Amazons business model has no relation to QVC or HSNs business model. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

According to who are QVC nd HSN banding together to compete with Amazon Prime? Link to your source? Yes we all know that the parent company of QVC is buying HSN, but where does it say that the reason is to compete with Amazon? 

Personally I don't see how the QVC parent company buying HSN has anything to do with Amazon or Prime. Amazons business model has no relation to QVC or HSNs business model. 

I'm the source. IMO, Amazon can't be beat for price and service. Companies are trying to compete and copy their way of doing business. Their success is causing retailers (B&M and shopping channels and websites) to evaluate their relationship with consumers.

Respected Contributor

According to our local FOX news station QVC and HSN made far less than expected last year.  The Q in the 8 billion mark and HSN at the 3 billion mark.  As with any merger or buyout, they will cut operating costs.  I would imagiine it will result in lower quality and higher prices for consumers.

I've been using Amazon for years now.  Free shipping for the most part and free returns.  Their CS is fantastic.  Perhaps it's the beginning of the end for home shopping channels.

Respected Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

According to our local FOX news station QVC and HSN made far less than expected last year.  The Q in the 8 billion mark and HSN at the 3 billion mark.  As with any merger or buyout, they will cut operating costs.  I would imagiine it will result in lower quality and higher prices for consumers.

I've been using Amazon for years now.  Free shipping for the most part and free returns.  Their CS is fantastic.  Perhaps it's the beginning of the end for home shopping channels.

I can't image lower quality items offered.  You mean it could get lower?  

Esteemed Contributor

I know I am shopping more at Amazon and so is my daughter...she buys all her Cricut supplies online

Esteemed Contributor

Keeping this conversation confined to the present climate of retail as it pertains to home shopping televison networks, what has to be taken into account is that 30, 40 years ago the aspect of shopping from home was limited to catalogues; the occasional 3 to 5-minute ad where you could call to order the product; and in the 70s, the introduction of the 30-min. infomercial.  The infomercial is really the ancestor of the  television shopping network.  When full time television shopping networks came on the scene, being able to see products modeled and demonstrated live on TV was unique.  The convenience of having it delivered to the home, as opposed to having to go out and shop for it, was appealing too.  Fast forward to present, and with the internet (not only Amazon, but every other existing brick and mortar retailer, and others who operate only online), TV shopping isn't so unique nor has a convenience advantage over retail competitors.  I think that more than anything else is what has impacted business at the electronic shopping networks.  They're business model and goals are not the same as Amazon's, so the two are not in direct competion from that perspective.

Can the slippage in TV shopping sales be reversed?  Maybe, but without looking at their internal sales data which reflects what is and isn't working for them, I prefer not to get into wild guess proposals about what may help.  I will say the continued hiring of bird chirpy voiced young host isn't one of the solutions.  I saw a new host with Courtney on Inspired Style last night and between the two I didn't last ten minutes into the show.  The goofy silly, isn't this fun, hosting style also isn't a solution.  People say they don't want dull hosts, but maybe it is time the powers that be pulled back on some of the silliness, and got back to more indepth product presentations.  

Honored Contributor

For a reason

They're the best. They keep you up to date on tracking. Will intercede on your behalf, if there's a problem, fast shp, processing of your order doesn't take 3 days to 5 days. All my stuff is processed no later then the next business day. Website is easy to use, etc.

Got my trade.

Honored Contributor

QVC cant even compete with the small Evine network let alone Amazon.  QVC is slipping fast.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

Keeping this conversation confined to the present climate of retail as it pertains to home shopping televison networks, what has to be taken into account is that 30, 40 years ago the aspect of shopping from home was limited to catalogues; the occasional 3 to 5-minute ad where you could call to order the product; and in the 70s, the introduction of the 30-min. infomercial.  The infomercial is really the ancestor of the  television shopping network.  When full time television shopping networks came on the scene, being able to see products modeled and demonstrated live on TV was unique.  The convenience of having it delivered to the home, as opposed to having to go out and shop for it, was appealing too.  Fast forward to present, and with the internet (not only Amazon, but every other existing brick and mortar retailer, and others who operate only online), TV shopping isn't so unique nor has a convenience advantage over retail competitors.  I think that more than anything else is what has impacted business at the electronic shopping networks.  They're business model and goals are not the same as Amazon's, so the two are not in direct competion from that perspective.

Can the slippage in TV shopping sales be reversed?  Maybe, but without looking at their internal sales data which reflects what is and isn't working for them, I prefer not to get into wild guess proposals about what may help.  I will say the continued hiring of bird chirpy voiced young host isn't one of the solutions.  I saw a new host with Courtney on Inspired Style last night and between the two I didn't last ten minutes into the show.  The goofy silly, isn't this fun, hosting style also isn't a solution.  People say they don't want dull hosts, but maybe it is time the powers that be pulled back on some of the silliness, and got back to more indepth product presentations.  

@Trix  Two hours of Inspired Style? One hour devoted to segments trying to promote TSV.