Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
My daughter is one of many truckers hauling freight across the US. She is out 7 days at a time, with a quick reset at home in between; just enough time to do her laundry and get restful sleep in her own bed. WV didn't have cases of the virus until the last few days, but she has been in states with the virus for 2 weeks. My daughter usually hauls fresh food items.

Blessings and safety to your daughter.

Respected Contributor

Trucking industry in high demand during COVID-19 pandemic

The demand is taking supplies to stores that have run out of in-demand items. “There's anywhere from a 40% to 60% increase of product being moved into grocery stores and warehouses since this started,” Johnson said. Some drivers are now helping transport Coronavirus testing kits to other states."

Managing Director for the New Mexico Trucking Association, Johnny Johnson, said he’s been in contact with several companies on how they’re handling COVID-19. Over the phone, he explained they are not too concerned since drivers spend most of their work day on the road. However, they are making sure drivers follow the recommended health tips.

Johnson is now retired from driving, but he said he has about 1 million miles under his belt since he joined the industry in the 1960s. He’s never experienced something like this.

"Never to this degree. I can honestly say I've never seen anything to this degree,” said Johnson. Right now, he hopes people realize the sacrifice truck drivers are making to help their country.

They're away from their families during some difficult times. There’s a lot of burdens that these drivers are enduring that people don't appreciate...or should appreciate,” he said. "It has definitely shown how important it truly is, today."

Respected Contributor

I know that there are many out there that are panic buying, but at least in my area I also think about the increased demand for groceries due to other factors.  Schools are shut down in the entire state which means there are more kids at home eating 5 days a week at home rather than eating at school, many businesses are closed or they are working from home which also means quite a few more people buying groceries since they are at home more.

So at least in my state, I think those factors also play into an increased demand for groceries. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Trucking is a hard life ,many, many years ago ,when i was a kid my dad was one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

There was a husband and wife Trucker team on Fox this morning.

They said there is NO shortage of goods...the problem is the panic and the hoarding!

People need to STOP buying excess!

They said the supply chain is in full swing...there is no shortage of truckers.

Their only issue was shortage of Rest Stops!  Towns are bringing them food right to their trucks for lunch since big rigs can't go thru the drive-thru and they don't want ppl walking up.

Try Chewy for pet supplies.

I would like to hear that on another channel.  Not much faith in Fox

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest 

I ordered dog food from Amazon. But it won't get here until the middle or end of next month. I have enough dog food now to last beyond that. I am just trying to stay ahead of the game by ordering now and for the future. Not hoarding, just preparing for shortages.

I had to order dog food and couldn't find my dog's regular food anywhere - online or in stores.  I stayed with the same brand but had to get something different than usual.  I'll have to mix it to start.  

Valued Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

I know that there are many out there that are panic buying, but at least in my area I also think about the increased demand for groceries due to other factors.  Schools are shut down in the entire state which means there are more kids at home eating 5 days a week at home rather than eating at school, many businesses are closed or they are working from home which also means quite a few more people buying groceries since they are at home more.

So at least in my state, I think those factors also play into an increased demand for groceries. 

@pitdakota  I hadn't even thought about that. Good point. I am sure that is making a huge impact on the shelves! Hopefully, within a couple of weeks or so things will start to get back to somewhat of a balance. I did want to take a sec to say ty to you for always being so pleasant/helpful with any questions/anxiety I might have been experiencing. You've always taken the time to explain things and you didn't have to do that. I truly appreciate it. Heart

On the flip side, for my mental well being I've decided to ignore/not reply to the few posters who would rather be snarky/rude/make insults and focus on everyone else who has been beyond helpful/inspiring (including you) during this time and I'm very grateful for you all. I think it's definitely important that people stick together during a time like this when so many are suffering.

~ Hope in TN ~
Respected Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

There was a husband and wife Trucker team on Fox this morning.

They said there is NO shortage of goods...the problem is the panic and the hoarding!

People need to STOP buying excess!

They said the supply chain is in full swing...there is no shortage of truckers.

Their only issue was shortage of Rest Stops!  Towns are bringing them food right to their trucks for lunch since big rigs can't go thru the drive-thru and they don't want ppl walking up.

Try Chewy for pet supplies.

I would like to hear that on another channel.  Not much faith in Fox

**There is a video of them saying just that. Check it out... from their mouth to your ears Woman Wink

Truck drivers Ed and Tracy Zimmerman, husband and wife, said that the biggest hurdle thus far was providing for panicked buyers. "There is plenty of food in the supply chain," said Ed. "It just takes time to get from the plant to the warehouse to the grocery store. And, when people buy extra and hoard it up, that puts an abnormal stress on the chain and then things have to double up and it takes a little time to catch up with everything."......

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny,

My thanks to you and those who hearted your post appreciating my trucker daughter for the job she does.   She loves driving the big rig!

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
My daughter is one of many truckers hauling freight across the US. She is out 7 days at a time, with a quick reset at home in between; just enough time to do her laundry and get restful sleep in her own bed. WV didn't have cases of the virus until the last few days, but she has been in states with the virus for 2

God bless your daughter and keep her safe @RedTop.