Honored Contributor

Re: A question regarding Ca. fires

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

@TyakAs i understand it, thinning out excess forest growth was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Logging was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Almost any kind if forest management was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Forests were allowed to become far too dense and the fires have been the result. 

Californians are now reaping what they've sown.  So be it.

@Cats3000, your misinformation aside, this is one of the most sickening sentiments I've seen on this board.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3First, if it's misinformation, enlighten me with facts, because the facts I've read seem to indicate the problem.  Second, if it is NOT misinformation then the residents of CA have enabled programs and policies that have created the environment that allows these fires to take hold.  Therefore, they have reaped what they've sown and sometimes truth hurts.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

@TyakAs i understand it, thinning out excess forest growth was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Logging was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Almost any kind if forest management was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Forests were allowed to become far too dense and the fires have been the result. 

Californians are now reaping what they've sown.  So be it.

@Cats3000, you misinformation aside, this is one of the most sickening sentiments I've seen on this board.

ITA @suzyQ3 .

No excuse for such ugly, divisive, ignorant behavior.

I read it the first time and had to leave the site for awhile to cool off.  It doesn't get better with age.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Native Californian and an Angeleno here- brush fires, mudslides are part of the package of living here.

You couldn't get me out of California. No heavy clothes to buy and wear; I don't have air conditioning or a heater ; I wear the same clothes all year long - I just put on a jacket or a sweater; I don't have to drive in bad weather, snow storms, icy roads, hurricanes and tornadoes. If u count the number of people living in California - and how many of them are actually affected by the fires, earthquakes or mudslides --- it's very small. I've been living in southern California for 53 years and haven't had to evacuate - but I had a few close calls. I grew up in NYC/Brooklyn - and nothing could ever get me back there.

When people move out of California --- other people move in.

Esteemed Contributor

@squeaks wrote:

We hsven’t had rain in 154 days.

I'm in north Oxnard, CA (southern Calif) --- even when it rained this year, Oxnard got a few drops!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone who denies climate change is not dealing with reality. The longer we deny and refuse to take steps to mitigate it the worse it will be. In California it’s the fires in other states it’s frequency of hurricanes and storms and 100 year floods that happen every year.
Honored Contributor

This would absolutely scare me too death,   it is just horrible.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

California's Devastating Fires Are Man Caused - But Not In The Way They Tell Us

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2018/07/30/californias-devastating-fires-are-man-caused-but...

In 2005 while a freshman California Assemblyman, I had the chance to visit Northern California and meet with the forest product industry professionals who grew, managed, and harvested trees on private and public lands. They told me of a worrisome trend started years earlier where both federal and state regulators were making it more and more difficult for them to do their jobs...... 

As timber harvesting permit fees went up and environmental challenges multiplied, the people who earned a living felling and planting trees looked for other lines of work. The combustible fuel load in the forest predictably soared. No longer were forest management professionals clearing brush and thinning trees.....

Thirteen years ago, the Western Governors Association predicted exactly what we're seeing now in their biomass report. ... Because of the decline in the timber industry, we don't clean up the forests anymore. 

2006 Biomass Task Force Report noted:

…over time the fire-prone forests that were not thinned, burn in uncharacteristically destructive wildfires, and the resulting loss of forest carbon is much greater than would occur if the forest had been thinned before fire moved through. …failing to thin leads to a greater greenhouse gas burden than the thinning created in the first place, and that doesn’t even account for the avoided fossil fuel greenhouse gas emissions due to the production of energy from the forest thinnings. In the long term, leaving forests overgrown and prone to unnaturally destructive wildfires means there will be significantly less biomass on the ground, and more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Honored Contributor

A quick google of the Texas Public Policy Forum, of which the author of @MorningLover's article is the Vice President, is a --

Conservative think tank based in Austin, Texas.[2] The organization was founded in 1989 by James R. Leininger, who sought intellectual support for his education reform ideas, including public school vouchers.[3] Projects of the organization include Right on Crime, which is focused on criminal justice reform,[4] and Fueling Freedom, which seeks to "explain the forgotten moral case for fossil fuels"[5] by expressing views skeptical of the scientific consensus on climate change.[6]

In 2015, TPPF had total revenue of $10.8 million.[7] Donors to the organization include energy companies Chevron, ExxonMobil, and other fossil fuel interests.[8] The stated mission of TPPF is "to promote and defend liberty, personal responsibility, and free enterprise in Texas and the nation by educating and affecting policymakers and the Texas public policy debate with academically sound research and outreach."[9]

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
QVC Customer Care