Honored Contributor

Re: A question regarding Ca. fires

FYI increasing damage from wildfires is not just a California problem but much of the West. I believe CA is the only state with the electricity shutdowns.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GSPgirl wrote:

@ahoymate wrote:

Tyakk, have your heard about climate change, global warming?

Nothing new.  I grew up in San Diego, Ca when we HAD forest management.  We still had fires especially around the time of Santa Ana winds, but they weren't as bad.  It really upsets me when I hear it's all about global warming, which is obviously caused by us right?  I went to college next door to Paradise, CA where they had a horrible fire.   I suggest you watch the Nova special about this subject.  We will always have cycles in the weather according to my geologist dad.  

Shoekittyy said

i have lived here all my 71 years.  My mother and dad before me.  My great grandfather settled in Juan Capistrano when California was part of Mexico.  No it hasn't  always been like this.  California has always had milder winters and in some areas hotter summers.  That is why the Spaniards called it California,forno meaning fire hot.  I have lived in an area of 80 miles my whole life.  The weather has changed. When I was young you could see and smell the smog.  The smog is gone, but  I feel the weather is more erratic. People have a lot to do with the weather change as well.  Too many cars, exhaust, factories. Where I live 8 lanes of traffic, takes 1.5 hours to go 35 miles at peak traffic hours.  The exhaust is horrible, even with high standards in California. Forests and areas that once were trees and agriculture here where I live,have been flattened for homes.  We consume more of everything, well..because there are more of us.  We also have had a change in weather patterns.  When you have lived in same area you know this is true.

forests are drier.  We are coming out of a drought, but lots of dead wood.  Idon'tt think it rained but a few days a year here until last hear.  It rained from late October til June.  It filled lakes andreservoirs, but dead trees are dead trees.  The fires are occuring  more toward residential last couple years.  When we used to have big fires they were more in unpopulated areas.  Rarely burning homes like the fires do now.  

Paradise fire andKinkadee fire were caused by faulty. PGE equipment. . PGE  has not maintained equipment.  I can attest to that in my backyard.  We have phone poles still with old fashioned wiring.  When the wind blows hard we can count on power outages  You can call them ..they don't come out.  Once when we had a problem they showed up at my door 7 weeks after the fact. They ate bankrupt now, so you get what you get.  The people who work forPGEE work hard, it themanagementt.  Workers do what they are told.

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate 

@ahoymate wrote:

QGirl2, it is new for No. California. Never, have fires that destroyed entire towns nor 90+mile/hour winds. It's new for No. California.

You are right.  I lived here in No. Ca. For 43 years in the same house.  Until the 2017 fire, this has never happened, where the fires went from town to town and over the mountains.  I,m 83  and never witness this in my lifetime, and I grew up in Ca.  My son and his family are with me now having been evacuated from their town 20 miles away.  They are hoping to return there by Thurs. If tomorrow,s winds don't put a stop to it.

Respected Contributor

@TyakAs i understand it, thinning out excess forest growth was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Logging was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Almost any kind if forest management was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Forests were allowed to become far too dense and the fires have been the result. 

Californians are now reaping what they've sown.  So be it.

Respected Contributor

cats01, Tyak: It's PG&E. Quit blaming the state of California. U don't live here, U don't know the facts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

@TyakAs i understand it, thinning out excess forest growth was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Logging was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Almost any kind if forest management was banned to appease the environmentalists.  Forests were allowed to become far too dense and the fires have been the result. 

Shoekittyy said

that isnt t entirely true.  But I think I know where you may have gotten that info.  I live near a forest, I have to slow down for loggers,  they clear areas for a fact.  But no, wedon't clear entire areas at free will, as that would cause mudslides and not be responsible,  trees have to be a certain age before they are cut, have a disease or have fallen. .  We have men who go through areas and mark trees for whacking.  The wood is given or sold to those who want it. 

there are some areas that are unaccessable, as the ravines are too deep and narrow. As I have stated most of the fires have been started by faulty equipment, or man.  I guess faulty equipment could be stated as man made.

Trusted Contributor

@Cats3000

It's never a good idea to paint 39.7 million of your fellow Americans with the same brush.

The Paradise, CA fire was started by faulty equipment owned and operated by PG & E. Hence, they were hit with $7 billion in insurance claims for the 85 people who perished and the staggering loss of property. Now in bankruptcy, the utility has been completely negligent in updating our power grid, our electric lines and their own website and emergency notification systems. They are under investigation by the California Public Utilities Commission for these violations.

While your lack of compassion and empathy for people facing cataclysmic conditions is abhorrent, I find your perpetuation of tired stereotypes and completely false assertions even more troubling.

So be it.
Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

You understand wrong.  

What disaster proof state do you live in, @Cats3000?

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

This is debunked misinformation.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

Shoekittyy said

that isnt t entirely true.  But I think I know where you may have gotten that info.  I live near a forest, I have to slow down for loggers,  they clear areas for a fact.  But no, wedon't clear entire areas at free will, as that would cause mudslides and not be responsible,  trees have to be a certain age before they are cut, have a disease or have fallen. .  We have men who go through areas and mark trees for whacking.  The wood is given or sold to those who want it. 

there are some areas that are unaccessable, as the ravines are too deep and narrow. As I have stated most of the fires have been started by faulty equipment, or man.  I guess faulty equipment could be stated as man made.

@shoekitty, I think I know where she got this purposeful misinformation; it's easy to find on certain websites and "news" outlets.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland