Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick - Re: your spoiler. And, this is why I much prefer the four-legged furry anything! Well, feathered too - I have an African Grey parrot.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick  As much as i would like some antlers, i would never do that,just terrible,  i am scared to go out into the woods here by myself, to find them, feel soory for deer that gets treated that way ,beautiful creatures.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

What a handsome boy. It's sad that the antlers are sometimes stolen. Great pics as always!

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   It hurts my heart and head when humans do not give all animals the respect they should.

There is no reason that someone should "take" what is not theirs. 

Woofs to Cricket.  Sending hugs and good wishes that all stay safe.

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

Our first spring (2020) here in Texas, I found these in my back yard. I am so hoping to find more this spring.

20210126_102850.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

I want to believe gorgeous ol boy Herzog lost his antlers one at a time (but) you just don't know it....lemme think it, the alternative hurts my heart too much.

He is so cute. they are all beautiful and well cared for - an amazing thing, considering they are wild.

They are WILD; about THE WICKS!

As are the folks in the Wick Pic Fan Club!

Valued Contributor

They all get cuter in every pic!

And welcome Herzog!!!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Even poachers in WV have standards and this little boy ain't big enough to have had a rack worth taking.   He is barely big enough to consider edible.   Poachers here want the meat first, the rack is an added bonus.   

I think this male was in a fight, and run out of another herd, and is trying to join this one.   He looks different, and may have a hard time being accepted in any herd with multiple males.   All deer, male and female, establish themselves in the herd, and this guy will likely be in the lowest pecking order of all.   The pictures we've seen in the past of does standing on their hind legs are evidence of the females establishing their dominance and position in the herd.   

@goldensrbest, Deer horns should be handled very carefully by gloved hands, due to bacteria.   A former co-worker found a large trophy worthy rack while hunting and carried it out of the woods to take home.   At some point, he punctured his hand with one of the points.   Within 24 hours, he was in the hospital fighting a septic infection that affected his kidneys and almost killed him.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop  he's not really that little and he's not really young.   I believe he is an old man.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@RedTop  he's not really that little and he's not really young.   I believe he is an old man.

Yes,i think he is old,and needs taking care of ,lots of carrots.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.