Honored Contributor

Moderna is working on a booster for S. African variant

[ Edited ]

Moderna is working on a booster for S. African variant. It appears that the current Moderna vaccine will work against the U.K. variant and the S. African variant but that it is less effective against the S. African so Moderna is working on a booster shot to cover this. The variants are still under scientific study and some scientists see data indicating that the variants are not only much more transmissible but might be more lethal. The high transmissibility of the U.K. variant is agreed upon and is currently thought responsible for the huge spike in U.K. cases. The increased lethality of each variant is debated by experts awaiting more data to make such a determination. Let's just hope. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Moderna is working on a booster for S. African variant

Great! So now we'll have to get 3 covid vaccinations?  This is becoming a full-time job.  Easier to become an anti-social hermit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Great! So now we'll have to get 3 covid vaccinations?  This is becoming a full-time job.  Easier to become an anti-social hermit.

@Kachina624 @We don't know yet, but at least the pharma companies are trying to keep on top of it. COVID shots might turn into yearly or semi-annual shots for us. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  True and exasperating. Yet another reason. perhaps, to wait a bit until the dust settles and see if 'science' can come up with a one stop shot... I want whatever I can get but would prefer not to become a pin cushion... I'd also like to be able to go locally to get whatever shot or shots I'll have to get rather than schedule through the health department and most likely have to jump through a number of hoops.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

The people who are currently eligible to take the vaccine are unable to due to vaccine shortages in many areas, including mine. I hope if there is a third needed shot, things will be better organized and there will be plenty of everybody. This is ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

We're still on the fence about the vaccine but maybe it's better that we aren't able to get an appointment right now.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe a vaccine for covid will be just like the flu vaccine...new every year for different strains.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Good. I'm glad they're working on it.

Once the world gets a handle on stopping Covid from spreading so fast, there will be fewer chances for it to mutate. Even if we are behind the times here in the US due to misinformation and the breakdown of societal trust, other countries will cooperate with each other to get vaccinated and healthier. That will eventually benefit us in our country as well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I am sick about hearing anything on the vaccine.  Can not get it anyway. Given up

Respected Contributor

I just received Vaccine #1  Moderna from my local neighborhood pharmacy.  It was 3 1/2 hours ago, and now I am beginning to feel tired.  I am scheduled for Vaccine #2 on February 20th.  I feel very fortunate to have received it.