Honored Contributor

$25 to $50 gift card

Honored Contributor

I'd get cards and put a crisp $20 inside each.

Honored Contributor

I don’t think gifts are required for a go8ng away party....just well wishes for the next stage of their lives.I think the parents just want to share the excitement with family and friends and mark the step into manhood for their sons with a celebration.

Honored Contributor

I am assuming that you gave them graduation gifts last month, if that is the case then you don't have to give a going away gift.  You gave them gifts just a few weeks ago.  So, enjoy the party and wish the well.  Personally, I've never been to a going away party that was a gift giving party but if you know for a fact that gifts are expected and you didn't give them anything for graduations, give them each a gift card to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts or some other fast food type restaurant.  And card.  You can do that even if the party isn't a gift giving thing, if you are close to the two young men.  

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Two brothers graduated in June and had parties. Now they are moving away, one for more schooling and one for a job. There is a going away party for both, are more gifts expected? I don't know what to do. 

@panda1234  IMO, if you gave a graduation gift, that’s sufficient. If not, you can give your gift now.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A gift question

[ Edited ]

@Tique wrote:

@panda1234   my first thought was the same as @CelticCrafter's; however that was immediately followed by a question. Is this party being held at someone's home? If it's not at home and money is being spent for a venue, gifts are probably expected. If they're expecting second gifts and you don't take one, next time around they'll do you a favor and exclude you. Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

@TiqueWHAT?  Is this the equivalent of a wedding gift equaling the cost of the meal at the reception?

I wouldn't take another gift.  I'm not sure I'd go to another party.  Graduates do exactly what these guys are doing...more schooling/college or employment.  That gift has already been given.  I don't see the point of another one.  Unless, of course, the person invited wants to give.

If money has been spent for a venue, that money may have been better spent by splitting it between the two graduates if whoever is giving the party thinks they need more gifts.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I would never go to a party without some type of gift. If you feel insulted that they seem to be asking for another gift, do not attend the function and just send a card.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Tique wrote:

@panda1234   my first thought was the same as @CelticCrafter's; however that was immediately followed by a question. Is this party being held at someone's home? If it's not at home and money is being spent for a venue, gifts are probably expected. If they're expecting second gifts and you don't take one, next time around they'll do you a favor and exclude you. Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

@TiqueWHAT?  Is this the equivalent of a wedding gift equaling the cost of the meal at the reception?

I wouldn't take another gift.  I'm not sure I'd go to another party.  Graduates do exactly what these guys are doing...more schooling/college or employment.  That gift has already been given.  I don't see the point of another one.  Unless, of course, the person invited wants to give.

If money has been spent for a venue, that money may have been better spent by splitting it between the two graduates if whoever is giving the party thinks they need more gifts.

@esmerelda    I simply said depending on where the party was held, gifts are probably expected. I went through something similar to this with my neighbor's son a couple of years ago. I gave a second gift because of my relationship with him. I had no qualms about that second gift and I didn't go to the party. When it came up again, did the opposite. Again based on our relationship.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

If you are close enough to the boys to go to the party and feel they would miss you if you didn't go, go and give a small gift card and well-wishes note.  

If it is the parents you are close to and not the boys, skip it at your option.  BUT if you are close enough to be there, give a small gift.

Trusted Contributor

Since when do they give parties for kids going away to college? They just had graduation parties with gifts? That's enough in my opinion.

A party for your kids leaving town sounds weird enough to me but I would just assume it's a nice get together before the kids leave. No gifts reguired.