Honored Contributor

On The Topic of All Those Parties--How many?

[ Edited ]

Since we are talking about parties in so many threads (I'll include wedding as a party), I'm thinking how many could one go to in a three year period?

We've seen graduation parties, going away parties, showers, weddings, destination weddings and parties at home later, baby showers, gender reveal parties, birthday parties, anniversary parties, bachelor and bachelorette parties, parties for someone retiring, promotion parties, anniversary parties, engagement parties, housewarmings, anniversaries, and on and on.  Feel free to mention some I've missed!

So think of these and what do you think is the max you've attended in a year, two year, or three year period and how much do you think you spent all total?  Rough estimate. That should be interesting! 

Oh, and I really don't have any events coming up, only hubby cares about my birthday and we go to dinner, so I was thinking:  WHAT kind of party could I have?  Only thing I can come up with is "I CLEANED OUT THE GARAGE PARTY!"  Maybe if I say "No gifts please" I'll make a haul!  (All in fun prople!  All in fun! ) 

Honored Contributor

Re: On The Topic of All Those Parties--How many?

The only "gatherings" I regularly attend are funerals.   Don't know anybody who throws "parties".............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I don’t have to give a rough figure. I know exactly. 

One. 

We went to a wedding July, 2015.

That’s it for us. I don’t count Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner because that’s normal family stuff. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Sooner

That would be a BIG Zero parties last year, and the year before and!  Not many people my age, that I know, throw parties. Most have grandkids, even great grandkids. 

Last "gathering" I attended was a after the funeral of one of my many decade long friends. IMO? Too many parties thrown for just about anything nowadays. Probably will be a National Celebrate Party Day party next. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

We rarely go to "parties".  I'd say one per year on average, and usually a wedding.  It probably matters what age you are and how old the "next genereation down" is.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

DH and I do hold gatherings or parties at least 3 times a year at our home - just or fun this year have hosted party for new neighbors, friend's birthday, England World Cup gathering last week - had about 25+ people for that.  I usually do big buffet no potlucks, cannot stand them always lots of fun.

Attended weddings, memorials, bbq's, solstice party, theater party, baby showers.  Coming up been invited to birthday party, going away party and another World Cup party when England win the Cup! We will give that one!

Honored Contributor

Not a fan of parties, only go if it is family or close friend. Haven't been to a wedding shower or wedding since 2014. Haven't been to a baby shower since 2016. I know people who love parties and really look forward to them, just not my thing. 

Honored Contributor

We don't go to many parties either but we did go to a graduation party last month and one last year.  We're invited to a baby shower in September but it requires us to travel & get a hotel room for 2 nights so I'm not sure that we're going at this point.

Two of my nephews got married two summers ago and both were destination weddings for us so that became mini vacations too.  As for other parties I can't think of many....we used to go to more years ago.  My adult kids are always going to weddings or parties.

Honored Contributor

Not so many lately.  Most of our friends are the people we met when we were all raising our children.  I also have siblings and cousins.  So, for a lot of years the partying just never ended.  There were kids birthday parties, baby showers, wedding showers, graduations, anniversary parties etc etc etc.  When everyone's kids grew up; that's when the flood of showers and weddings and house warmings began.  It's seems like we were always giving someone a gift.or writing a check.  Some years we went to some event 3 or 4 times a month.  But things have slowed down considerably over the past few years.  We didn't go to any weddings last year and so far it looks like we will only go to one wedding in all of 2018.  My friend's daughter is getting married in October.  I can't even guess the three year average.  My bff is planning a huge 75th birthday party for herself in November and there will be a Christmas party or two.  So, I think perhaps we  will go to 4 big events in 2018.

Respected Contributor

The parties and celebrations have dramatically slowed down for us.  DH comes from a big, age varied family and the functions go in waves.  Some years ago we had 6-7 functions annually to attend.

This year only a bridal shower and a wedding for a great niece.  Next year another great niece is getting married.  There will be a holy communion in a couple of years, might be a couple more weddings, and then in about five years the graduations will start again.