Respected Contributor

Just had a new SCAM call.  Starts out "Dear Customer".  It says that your license for Microsoft on your computer has expired. Call a certain number to renew your license or your computer will shut down. A woman's voice - sounds like an older woman.  Just another day at the SCAM market.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

don't answer phone calls from random numbers, let all calls go to your answering machine, then block the numbers if you have that ability

check out nomorerobo 

Honored Contributor

wish I could get that nomorerobot but can't

Bought a call blocker machine though.

Honored Contributor

I don't answer calls I don't recognize. I Google them sometimes to see who it is. I have received those scam Microsoft calls & I just laugh.

My brother called this weekend & I did not recognize his number. LOL!!! Good thing I have an answering machine so he could tell me to answer the phone.

Trusted Contributor

They've been calling me for years to repair my computer. One time, I asked them what kind of computer I had, they replied, "Microsoft". I slammed the phone down!

I've had Apples for years.

Honored Contributor

@PerkupI had something similar happen a couple of days ago.  My speaker came on while I was on the computer and the screen turned bright red saying that my computer had been hacked and information was being sent to hackers.  I was told that I needed to call the number on the screen and do not turn it off or it would lock up.  Of course, I shut down the computer immediately.  Every time I tried to use the computer, I got the same message and screen.  We did some research on the ipad with a different email and found many people had the same situation.  We eventually discovered that a certain site could not be selected which said "AD   QVC" in order to stop this alert (which mistakenly looked like the "QVC" website.  It was alarming, but I realized immediately it was a scam.  Unfortunately, some people called the number releasing information to get their computer "fixed".  Between phones and computers scams are becoming fairly commonplace unfortunately.  

Honored Contributor

If they don't even know a name, how likely is it they know anything at all?   Below zero!

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@PerkupI had something similar happen a couple of days ago.  My speaker came on while I was on the computer and the screen turned bright red saying that my computer had been hacked and information was being sent to hackers.  I was told that I needed to call the number on the screen and do not turn it off or it would lock up.  Of course, I shut down the computer immediately.  Every time I tried to use the computer, I got the same message and screen.  We did some research on the ipad with a different email and found many people had the same situation.  We eventually discovered that a certain site could not be selected which said "AD   QVC" in order to stop this alert (which mistakenly looked like the "QVC" website.  It was alarming, but I realized immediately it was a scam.  Unfortunately, some people called the number releasing information to get their computer "fixed".  Between phones and computers scams are becoming fairly commonplace unfortunately.  

@phoenixbrd

About a month ago, I got a pop-up with a message to call "microsoft" to unlock my computer. (I was mad at myself, normally I disable popupblockers in order to watch a video on a local news website and forgot to turn the pop-up blocker back Woman Frustrated).......Anyway, all I did was do was to hit the keys: ALT, CTRL, DELETE to remove the pop-up and then ran a malware and full scurity scan to make sure I did not have adware/malware/virus on my laptop---all AOKAY and no problems since.............People have called the number and they are hackers, they download something to your computer and hold it hostage until you pay their ransom.....I wish they could arrest these SCUMBAGS!!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I don't answer calls I don't recognize. I Google them sometimes to see who it is. I have received those scam Microsoft calls & I just laugh.

My brother called this weekend & I did not recognize his number. LOL!!! Good thing I have an answering machine so he could tell me to answer the phone.

@Nightowlz  Just put your brother into your phonebook on your telephone, and his name will always come up with his number when he calls.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

wish I could get that nomorerobot but can't

Bought a call blocker machine though.

we just signed up when I switched to a different cable co., it is really great.