Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My parents died fairly young by today's standards and I have had family members and friends die in the prime of their lives. If indeed we walk the walk and talk the talk and believe that we will be rewarded in heaven, there should not be all this angst over death.

We don't all walk the same walk or talk the same talk, @blackhole99. Not everyone shares the same beliefs.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My parents died fairly young by today's standards and I have had family members and friends die in the prime of their lives. If indeed we walk the walk and talk the talk and believe that we will be rewarded in heaven, there should not be all this angst over death.

All I said was that I miss people whom I loved and whom have gone on.

Perhaps you don't miss your friends who died, but I do miss mine.

Nothing to do with "angst over death."

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It seems like there are more people that I loved that are dead, than people I love who are alive.

Does anyone else feel this way....

No, I have lost some wonderful friends and family but there are still many alive and well. I cherish each and every one of them.

Honored Contributor

Yep. Depressing as hell.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

All I said was that I miss people whom I loved and whom have gone on.

Perhaps you don't miss your friends who died, but I do miss mine.

Nothing to do with "angst over death."

@YorkieonmyPillow

I agree with you.  

Regular Contributor

I suppose that happens if you live long enough.  

Esteemed Contributor

Received a text this weekend regarding the passing of my cousin's husband. I'm the youngest grandchild; dad's family. He had six siblings. Seems like I've been through grandparents, aunts/uncles, parents, and my brother's passings and now I'm watching my older cousins pass. A few friends/spouses have passed and many others facing health challenges. Yes. I get tender about this subject.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

momimohio...You have no idea how beautifully you said in your third paragraph the way I feel as the tears run down my cheeks.  My parents, a daughter, three very dear long time friends who passed because of breast cancer. We need to wrap ourselves around the loved ones still with us, we never know how long we will have them.

@Mominohio wrote:

I haven't reached the tipping point quite yet (the more part), but certainly way too many who have passed that I miss terribly.

I understood death and how fleeting life could be from the time I can remember. My dad was dying my whole life, and passed when I was 18. It had a profound impact on me in regards to how short life can be, how we need to find little joys in each and every day, and that if a relationship is important to you (or you want it to be), you need to tend to it. No time for anger, grudges, jealousies etc.

It does hit me more, the older I get, how I can't go back. I can't go back and say I'm sorry. I can't go back and just visit one more time. I can't go back and ask questions, seek advice, share in their wisdom, feel the comfort of their presence. 

Some days it overwhelms me for a few minutes, and I have to shed a tear or two, then move on and get my mind elsewhere in the here and now.

I think this only gets more profound for people as they age. My mom who is 81 spends a lot of time talking about how many people are gone, that she (knew from work or were alive when she married into my dad's family or that were in the family that raised her, etc.)

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam