Honored Contributor

Declaration of Independence Signed on This Day, August 2!

Members of Congress were able to sign the newly drafted Declaration of Independence on August 2, 1776. (Don't you love poring over those interesting and sometimes flamboyant signatures?)   News of the signing reached London eight days later, on August 10.

And the rest is history....

Honored Contributor

Re: Declaration of Independence Signed on This Day, August 2!

A few members signed at a later date, too, and I believe 3(?) never signed at all.

Thanks for posting this - we should have another holiday on Aug. 2, too.   Hey, anything for a par-tay!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Absolutely, Cakers!   And thanks for the additional historical detail!

Respected Contributor

Hi @Oznell! I hope you are having a wonderful summer!

What I find sad is that I guess this isn't taught anymore...Back in the 60's and 70's, it was in my elementary and high school classes.

I do NOT want this to be political, but on July 4th of this year, NPR had a recitation of the document, and people became irate thinking NPR was inciting an overthrow.....I shouldn't be, but I am still in shock over that one.....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Me too, Poodlepet2.  Thank you, I am having a good summer--  hope the same for you.  Great to hear from you, as always!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell

Thanks so much for sharing with us!

My great, great, great............uncle, Samuel P. Huntington, representing Connecticut, signed the Declaration of Independence on this day those many years ago.  Proud to be a member of the Huntington Family Association:

Samuel Huntington.jpg

Honored Contributor

What a handsome patriot ypu're related to, sfnative!  Thanks for posting the portrait-- the more we know and hear about these remarkable Americans, the better, I think...