Honored Contributor

Re: A/C temps: What’s Yours?

Usually 74 unless it is extremely humid, because we do have a smaller home, but it is a 2 story so I like to sleep comfortably.......

Respected Contributor

In summer we're usually at 74 day and night.  I would like it cooler at night, but not worth the battle with DH.  Last night, he must have been hot, he turned it down to 73.

Honored Contributor

To all: I’m just curious. Those of you who set your thermostats low, like at 72  degrees, must have very high electric bills. My bills are high as it is, and l don’t keep my house that cold. Woman Frustrated

Does anyone care to share? 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

To all: I’m just curious. Those of you who set your thermostats low, like at 72  degrees, must have very high electric bills. My bills are high as it is, and l don’t keep my house that cold. Woman Frustrated

@handygal2 

i had said that we usually keep our central air conditioning at 77 or 76......generally not lower than that although i would like it to be.

just got our bill for mid july/ mid august......definitely high...... $ 479.38 Smiley Frustrated

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

75....day and night.  I don't have ceiling fans but I do have a tilt floor fan for the living room and a pedestal fan for the bedroom to keep air circulating.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Keep the central a/c set at 76, day and night.  Since it's an older home at night we need to use a window a/c in the bedroom set at same temperature.  After all those 90+ days last month I dreaded to see my utility bill but surprise surprise and thank you it is only $126.00, gas and electric.  I live in Delaware.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

We are the Budget Plan for our electric bill, which is a fixed amount monthly.    It's $150 per month so we avoid those huge summer bills. 

I do the same thing for the gas bill to avoid the high bills in the winter when we have the heat on.  That amount is $63. 

Regular Contributor

Our local news had this story as well. 82 for sleeping?? I would wake up soaking wet and my husband would probably go sleep in the crawl space!  We keep ours at 78 at night and we sleep in a lower level bedroom with a fan going. When it gets really hot outside we may have it set around 74 during the day if we are home but it never goes lower than that. Every ones comfort level is a little differrent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom 

This is what my long time trusted A/C guy told me...when you leave your A/C on 80 or 85 while you are at work to save money on your electric bill it's counter productive....When you get home ....for most people thats between 5:30 and 6:30 is still hot outside (in Texas)....so you turn your thermostat down to 75 or 74....and what that does to your A/C unit is make it work extra hard (longer) to cool your home off while it's still hot outside when you get home....And that just wears out your A/C unit and results in costly repairs.  It's better for people to leave it at a fixed temperature, perhaps raise it up a knotch or two and use ceiling or other fans....you A/C unit will work less to maintain an even temperature.  

This actually works, when it was 99 outside my A/C kicked on very little and my thermostat was set a couple knotches higher than normal at 77 and the fan in my living room kept me cool....My bill was reasonable too.....Normally I keep it at 74-75 day and night during the warm and hot months 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

I say, if I can afford it, I will set my AC thermostat where I feel comfortable and that is 68 day and night during the summer. I keep throws available.

I am sad that my sister keeps her home warm, in the 80's.  I choose not to visit her because her home is too hot for me.  My adult children feel the same.  Once, my son (spending the night)  was so hot that he decided to sleep on the floor and, that was the last time he spent the night at her house. I am so sad about this but, we each set our thermostats where we want them to be.