Honored Contributor

Re: A/C temps: What’s Yours?

77 daytime, 75 at night. 

Esteemed Contributor

85 could be dangerous for a pet left home.  I would never keep my thermostat that high.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

72 degrees during the day.  66 at night.  The government has no business in this.  

Respected Contributor

I am in a sub-tropical climate - heat and humidity.  May thru October.

I keep the thermostat during the heat and humidity at 79 night and day.  Ceilings fans run on low in the master bedroom and the living room area.  If I am just laying on the couch watching TV I even get chilly and put a throw over me.  But if I move it up to 80 I can feel its a little too warm for any activity such as cooking or cleaning.

I go into other people's homes and can really feel the chill of their AC.  I'm glad I live alone and can keep it where I want.  I couldn't tolerate the thermostat being set any lower.  I'd freeze and couldn't relax.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

74 day, and 73 at night.   Often I'll have a fan on low in the bedroom or living room, as well.  I like it even cooler in the car when I'm driving.  It was 100 degrees here today.

Respected Contributor

During the day, 77 or 78

At night, 79 or 80 or off altogether.

I don’t have central air. A/C downstairs only.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in the mountains and sometimes in Spring and Fall there is no need for anything other than ceiling fans but other wise, during the warmer months I set it around 74 day and night.  Today our temp was 90 but I was in Phoenix where it was 115!!!!!  I have lived overseas and some practice draconian measures to enforce not using unnecessary energy.  I remember, in South Korea that various provinces would cut all power during daytime once or twice a Winter ( it's really COLD in Korea and, fortunately they would advertise in advance these power cuts.

Respected Contributor

I like to be comfortable and am glad there is A/C,  but Air conditioning everywhere to me is turned down too low.  70 and 71 in resturants and my office just freezes me out.  Cold air blowing on head and down back - not a good feeling.  To me moderation in everything in life makes good sense.

I keep my A/C at home day and night during the summer at 75.  All of us including the dog are comfortable at that.  Don't turn it down during the night or up during the day if we are not home.  Remember, the dog is home and sure don't want him to be hot just to save a few dollars.

In the winter the heat stays at 74 day and night.  Very comfortable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom 

No whole house AC. Quit using it over 10 years ago. Patio room? Wife not home, no AC, and I sleep in that room on my recliner. Wife home?  If AC is on, it never goes below 80°.  Ain't no way I need it 72-75°, nor pay the $$$ to freeze myself.

I'm comfortable with a ceiling fan running, and if it gets over 80% humidity and 90°, I turn on our 22" commercial fan. That's all I need. As you well know: Sweat+air blowing on/over body=evaporation=body cooling. Works just fine for me.

Interesting to see, but not practical for my needs or budget.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

75 during the day, 73 at night.