Esteemed Contributor

The big question here that no one is asking is, how healthy is she?

Is she aware of where she is, and who is around her?

Does she recognize family members, and know who they are?

There's usually a reason why people are in nursing homes, and it usually isn't because they are mentally sharp as a tack.

TIME is the best gift that you can give.

Nursing home rooms are tiny and shared, and at 95, she's already had a lifetime of stuff, and doesn't need more clutter.

Besides, stuff can disappear.

Nursing homes are notorious for having "sticky fingers", if not the staff, then from the other residents.

Things go "missing" all of the time.

The BEST gift that you can give her would be the gift of TIME.

That would probably mean more to her than anything else that you could give her.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

When my Mom was in a nursing home, she always had candy set out and told the staff to help themselves when they came into her room.

Respected Contributor

I like the chocolates or beauty salon ideas.  Also maybe a nice shawl or lap afghan.  

Esteemed Contributor

Honor her wish, no gifts.

Respected Contributor

My mother will turn 95 in March.  No gifts means no gifts. Honor that request. Period.  Do make time to spend time with her. That is the best gift you can give.  Take her to lunch or a movie, and do it regularly.  That would be appreciated. 

Honored Contributor
I would perk the place up with a floral delivery. When my grandmother was in the personal care home, we sent flowers to her; a big arrangement for the TV room, and bud vases for the tables in the dining room. All of the residents got to enjoy those pretty flowers and that made us happy.
Super Contributor

@coffee drinker  take pictures at party and make a picture album to give her so she can look back at those that honored her by attending her party.  Visit her a week or two after the party and give it to her.

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker    When my Aunt turned 97, I gave her Godiva chocolates and she loved them and did not share.  lol

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I would honor the request to not bring gifts.  

Respected Contributor

Re: 95th Birthday Invite

[ Edited ]

I hope ALL who responded will see this post.  A BIG thank you for responding and the suggestions.   Think we're going to put money into her account for hair styling and manicures.  I'll call the home and inquire about a snack/dessert account.  Than you again.

@Katcat1 @gramgrandkids1 @RedTop @ItsME @qbetzforre @tansy @esmerelda