Honored Contributor

From experience I know that you have to pay to get your hair and nails done.  If you are on Medicaid, one hair wash and style a month is covered.

Check with the convalescent home to see if they charge for these beauty treatments, if so, you can prepay for her to get her hair and nails done. 

Honored Contributor

Take a nice card but honor her wishes for NO GIFTS. 

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

From experience I know that you have to pay to get your hair and nails done.  If you are on Medicaid, one hair wash and style a month is covered.

Check with the convalescent home to see if they charge for these beauty treatments, if so, you can prepay for her to get her hair and nails done. 

@Carmie 

I think that is a wonderful idea and very thoughtful.  One hair wash a month isn't very much so I'm sure it would be much appreciated.

Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

DH & I have been invited to his aunt's 95th birthday.  The invitation says "no gifts", and I would like to honor that request, but I don't think DH would agree with me.  I feel a little something would be nice, but don't have a clue.  Aunt is in a convalescent home and really has no need for money.  Any suggestions that would be appropriate and not over the top.  

Well, I'm guessing flowers and/or chocolates might be popular with a few other guests invited to the party.  So, how about a book, a Candle Impression for her room, a donation in her name to a favorite charity.  Does she have a favorite lotion?  I know at 95, I'm am still going to want my lipstick and facial cream!!!   A friend of mine had a tree planted in my mother's name when she turned 90.  This is especially nice if your aunt had an interest in gardening.  If you should have a picture of her, or her family, how about putting it in a lovely new frame for her to display.  My mother's convelascent home had an ice cream shop and we were able to put money in her account for her daily ice cream treat.  If these ideas don't help you someone else will come up with a perfect idea. Enjoy the birthday party.   Your husband's aunt will!!  It's the gift of family coming to see and celebrate her!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 95th Birthday Invite

[ Edited ]

Seriously? No gifts for a 95 year old means just that. A nice card and some visits to her would probably be appreciated, but please listen to their request for "no gifts". I doubt she needs a candle or talcum powder or photos. I speak from experience with my own mother - just honor the family's request. Join in the celebration and give her some attention - that would probably be most appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

A box of chocolates that she can share with the staff at the nursing home.  They always appreciate it. 

Respected Contributor
How about a gift for her caregivers in her honor? Muffins, a pizza lunch, a basket of assorted packaged snacks and bottled drinks, something like that?
Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker 

Nursing homes often have staff education funds, or staff assistance funds, a small donation in her name might be an option.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie 

That is a great suggestion.  Have to remember that one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

A box of chocolates that she can share with the staff at the nursing home.  They always appreciate it. 

Or the staff can "help themselves" with a box of chocolates.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.