Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Bri369  Clothing, jewelry, clocks are gifts that require time spent shopping and wrapping. They require thought. Whereas gift cards are essentially cash with strings attached. If you are just going that route give a cash gift that can used as the recipient wishes rather than a gift card that you choose how it's spent.

What does that have to do with a gift card implying the person cannot afford something?

If I give someone a gift card, I have still put time and thought into it.  

All gifts have strings attached to it in some way.  I would never give someone a gift that they would feel obligated to display or feel guilty about returning.  I wouldn't give someone a gift card to a seafood restaurant if they didn't like seafood.  There's some common sense used in giving gift cards, hopefully.

Honored Contributor
I would give them gift cards for restaurants and/or movies. Maybe theater or symphony tickets if they would enjoy that. Restaurant gift cards to different places you know they like...or high end places they may have not tried...would be lovely and appreciated.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The last thing I'd want is a gift card. Gift cards are fine for college students but are somewhat insulting in that they imply the recipient can't afford dinner at a nice restaurant.

It says "enjoy a nice night out on me!"

Respected Contributor

Re: 50TH ANNIVERSARY GIFT

[ Edited ]

@elizabethl123 

I am coming up on my 50th anniversary.  I have asked my children to take us to the restaurant that we went to for our after ceremony dinner.  

We were married in a civil ceremony at the court house with family in attendance.  Afterwards we went to a nice seafood restaurant. I'd like to go back for our anniversary dinner.

It's just me, but I have told them that we don't need another thing brought into this house, but, since we don't get out much these days,  we would like to be taken out of it ! Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@elizabethl123 

I think your gift sounds lovely. I can't believe all the nasty comments I'm reading here. Imagine every time they see the time, they will think of you. Get the mantel clock, I think its a great idea! It's the thought that counts remember. And you are buying it with love and they will know that. Heart

@ID2  Goodness, I don't see any "nasty comments."  People are giving opinions, just as she asked.  That's why she came here - to get a range of opinions.  I've been married 47 years and agree that I would definitely not want any more "things" at this point.  Particularly not things that I have to put out in the house or risk offending someone.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Been married 45 years and hope to make it to 50. I know I don't want anymore stuff , but maybe your people do, a mantel clock sounds nice.

Esteemed Contributor

Calling one of the couple's son about a restaurant gift certificate is the best idea....I'm sure the son will be glad to help you out, and you'll be thought of with a lot of love when they have a nice dinner thanks to your thoughtfulness!

Super Contributor
A gift certificate from their favorite restaurant is a great idea...
Trusted Contributor

What about a contribution to a charity or non-profit which they might support?  There is always what I call the fallback:  St. Jude's.  No one I know would object to money being donated there in his/her/their name(s).

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the replies to your question. Just speaking for myself, I would hope after 50 years of marriage I have everything I could ever want. I would much rather someone  donate to a cause I find near and dear to my heart then give me some gift.