Honored Contributor

I think a mantel clock would be a lovely and generous gift. I myself would prefer a gift card to a nice restaurant, but that is me. You know them so you need to make the decision. I don't know their ages, but I am 68 and in downsizing mode. 

Honored Contributor

Re: 50TH ANNIVERSARY GIFT

[ Edited ]

A gift would be wonderful for the couple. But most are decluttering their lives.

DH and I are on 49 yrs married and 51 years together this year. We are decluttering. 

We would like dinner gift cards for any anniversary or xmas gifts we get. just gives us a break from dishes, and less to clean  in the house.

We just cleaned out the shed and house this past weekend it was 4 day clean event here. DH and I threw out so much stuff to curb for freebies, goodwill trips.  We are decluttering as the years go along.

You know your neice better than we do,if they have been talking about getting that mantel clock then purchase one for them. If not, then I would think something less cluttering,less cleaning, less "stuff" in the house.

Esteemed Contributor

@elizabethl123  That sounds like a wonderful gift!

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor
I think if you want to give them the clock, that would be nice. You know your niece and husband obviously, not us. Not everyone wants gift cards.
Honored Contributor

I, too, think a mantel clock sounds like a great idea. We have one that was a gift from my mom. I can always check the time on the TV in the family room, but I like sitting on the couch and being able to look up and see exactly what time it is without clicking a bunch of buttons. There are some nice ones around too. If you had said you were thinking of giving them a kitchen appliance or figurine or something like that I'd say maybe you should think about something else, but I think a nice mantel clock is a perfect gift for this special day! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

That's definitely an appropriate gift but give some thought to it before you buy it.  Is it something they would like?  Would a clock like that fit into their home decor?  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's definitely an appropriate gift but give some thought to it before you buy it.  Is it something they would like?  Would a clock like that fit into their home decor?  

That would be my reason for not going the clock route-- the decor.  I know I personally like to choose my own things; having someone else choose a piece of decor for my house is risky business.  Chances are good I wouldn't like it, but I'd be too polite not to display it, therefore I'd be stuck with it.

Hope this isn't considered nasty, but it's how I feel.

Honored Contributor

The last thing I'd want is a gift card. Gift cards are fine for college students but are somewhat insulting in that they imply the recipient can't afford dinner at a nice restaurant.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The last thing I'd want is a gift card. Gift cards are fine for college students but are somewhat insulting in that they imply the recipient can't afford dinner at a nice restaurant.

They imply nothing of the sort.

They are a gift.  Does giving someone a gift of clothing or a gift of jewelery imply they cannot afford to buy those items for themselves?  

A gift can be anything you give freely to someone...

Honored Contributor

@Bri369  Clothing, jewelry, clocks are gifts that require time spent shopping and wrapping. They require thought. Whereas gift cards are essentially cash with strings attached. If you are just going that route give a cash gift that can used as the recipient wishes rather than a gift card that you choose how it's spent.