Honored Contributor

Re: 18, and Out?

[ Edited ]

My Mom would have preferred I live with her forever.  However, I moved out in October '79 of my Senior year of high school.  I was still 17 years old, six weeks shy of turning 18. 

The school Secretary hated it when I went to the office needing to go home from "cramps"  She knew there was no one to call since I had a job, my own place to live and paid all my bills.  I only had three classes my senior year so I was able to have full time hours at the mall. 

I paid my on tuition the following year at college.  I took night courses so I could work during the day since most freshman want the whole college experience. 

This road made me the penny pincher I am today toward my retirement.

I still managed to go dancing every weekend with my friends but for a long time I lived on 3 to 5 hours sleep between school, work, disco.

My own son moved out at 20.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

My children did not work while going to HS except for one of them who worked during the summer months part time in his future chosen career.  When he graduated, he worked there full time for a few years.

I expected them to work full time on getting an education.  One graduated from HS when he was only 17.  He wanted to join the air force, but I wouldn't sign for him.  He lived at home until he turned 18 and could sign up on his own.

We provided a car for them to drive and paid the insurance. They were not allowed to just take the car and go.  

I did their laundry, but one by one they just started to do their own by themselves.  

Kids have their whole life ahead of them to work.  I never forced them to get jobs while in school.

All three are gainfully employed, have their own houses and live independently.  I am proud of every one of them.

Honored Contributor

Both of my daughters went to college afte High School, but had they not and they wanted to live at home-no problem, as long as you are in school or working, being a productive young adult...

I lived at home until I was 21 and got married. I worked fulltime though-no sitting around doing nothing..

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 18, and Out?

[ Edited ]

I shared my experience as the mother of 2 now adult children in an earlier post.

I grew up the oldest in an XL family. Earned scholarship $ and lived away at college for 4 years. Parents helped out minimally, as was expected. Worked part time on campus and during summers. Was never charged rent. Took out a student loan during my senior year only and used my savings to finally buy a used car. Moved from the dorm to a shared apartment on graduation day. Had a temporary full-time job as a bank teller until I was hired as a teacher. Parents (especially Dad) were sad, but that is how I was raised. I could not return home to live as I was now an adult at age 22. Six months later the roommates were gone to jobs out of state, and I remained solo, which was wonderful.

I had enough sibling roommates my whole life! I welcomed the independence, which has served me well throughout my life.

That was then, this is now. Entirely different economic times.

Respected Contributor

I was raised to "fly"!

My parents home was always open to come back to no matter how old I was. I did go back between apartments a couple of times but it was never more than a month or two. 

They did their "job" and readied me for adulthood. They helped with college tuition, I worked all through college to add to the college coffers. They raised a strong and independent child...me. I was taught to work hard and long, if needed, to get a job done.

I laugh to myself when I hear current generations say something is "too hard"  or they can't get a house because they only want to "work" part-time! I will admit I sometimes wonder "who raised them?" I still cringe when I hear kids are still in the basement at age 35.

I am to this day ever grateful for my parents. Sending my love to you Mom and Dad!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I have a daughter in college and a teenager still in high school.

Daughter helped out a bit in high school with laundry and dishes but

also kept straight A's and worked part time at a grocery store. She

has really matured during college years and takes care of herself,

pays her car insurance and her bills while away at school. We did

buy her a used car a couple years ago.

Son in high school not sure yet about college but he will be going.

He takes care of our yard work and also worked all summer for two

families doing their grass and weeds, takes whatever they pay him.

He is very smart, gets very good grades and will do well in college

when the time comes.

Valued Contributor

No, my son is 22.  He graduated from college this passed spring.  He has a temp job in his field.  Permanent job opportunities on the horizon.  He is welcome here as long as he wants to be here.  I hope it's not forever.  I want him to live on his own and have all those experiences.  That freedom. 

Because of abuse I left my mom's house a few weeks after I turned 18.  Never looked back, never went back.