Trusted Contributor

Re: rather dreadful books of 2018

@teganslaw wrote:

I wouldn't call it "dreadful",  but the book A Man Called Ove was disappointing to me. I expected much more after all the great reviews, but couldn't get into it. I read about a third of it before giving up. 

Agree.  I filed that into my "Overrated" shelf.  

Super Contributor

Oh gosh....I'm a Boomer, but it took me until I was 50 to give myself "permission" to NOT FINISH
a book once I've started.
I don't read books in the same vast quantities I used to read, as a younger person.
Especially since there's more than 3-TV channels now
and of course the *magic* of cable/wifi.
I'm actually THANKFUL that there were so FEW
options back-in-the-day....reading became my
Number 1 pastime, along with bike riding.
Sigh....
Reminiscing often leads me down
into The Dumps., carrying the Blues.
Lol
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I know I’m in the minority but I hated Woman in the Window by AJ Finn. The characters were flat and the interactions and relationships seemed very poorly fleshed. It is his first novel and a bestseller but it was drudgery for me.

I am standing with you on this book as well @GenXmuse.  I read it quickly but was so disappointed.  I felt like the book was just taken from Rear Window, Jimmy Stewart and Copy Cat, Sigourney Weaver and just thrown in a teenage boy.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Any thing by Danielle Steele.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

Here is another reader that just will not waste her time on books that she does not care for. Way too many books to read to suffer through one. I enjoy reading as a form of entertainment, and the Library keeps me highly entertained. 

Honored Contributor

Quentins by Maeve Binchy, I knew how it would go half way through and only finished it to congratulate myself on being right. I disliked the main character and wasn't all that keen on any of the others. I won't be reading any more of Maeve Binchy books.