Honored Contributor

Re: rather dreadful books of 2018

@teganslaw wrote:

I wouldn't call it "dreadful",  but the book A Man Called Ove was disappointing to me. I expected much more after all the great reviews, but couldn't get into it. I read about a third of it before giving up. 

@teganslaw

While I liked A Man Called Ove I did not care for any of the follow up books by that author which had great reviews on this forum.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

I wouldn't call it "dreadful",  but the book A Man Called Ove was disappointing to me. I expected much more after all the great reviews, but couldn't get into it. I read about a third of it before giving up. 

@teganslaw

While I liked A Man Called Ove I did not care for any of the follow up books by that author which had great reviews on this forum.  

@teganslaw

@DiAnne  -  I loved A Man Called Ove, and would have been happy to read more of his story if the author had written any. However, the Britt-Marie books didn't agree with me. I tried two of his follow-up books about Britt-Marie and the hockey team and the rats (shudder shudder) and they were awful. For me, the author should have quit after he wrote Ove's story. But I know many of the readers here loved all his books.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Party by Robyn Harding. Don't ask me why I actually read the whole book because I can't answer you. I think I was in awe that such a ridiculous book actually got published. All I know is, I laughed as I read it. Not because it was funny, but because it was such a stupid book about stupid teenagers and their even stupider parents.

I gave it no stars, as did several other readers. Oh I wasn't alone!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

These are some PTB books for me this year:

Deadly Summer by Denise Swank-funny in parts but didn’t care about the investigation into the death. Silly. 

Be Frank with Me by Julia Johnson-characters were annoying

The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish-did not capture my interest and didn’t feel like investing any more time or head space to it

Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton never blossomed for me so I’ve set it aside. 

The Broken Girls by Simone St James was a snooze and I did not finish. 

But overall, I found many more that I did like!

Respected Contributor

Rather dreadfull is a good way to describe the newest Pendergast novel Verses for the Dead. I am rereading all these Pendergast novels and had just finished "The Cabinet of Curiosities" (great book!) and could not believe the same 2 fellas wrote this stinker. Reads like they just called it in. DH thought so too. We are both big fans of Preston and Child and were very disappointed in this offering. Pendergast deserves WAY better.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

Rather dreadfull is a good way to describe the newest Pendergast novel Verses for the Dead. I am rereading all these Pendergast novels and had just finished "The Cabinet of Curiosities" (great book!) and could not believe the same 2 fellas wrote this stinker. Reads like they just called it in. DH thought so too. We are both big fans of Preston and Child and were very disappointed in this offering. Pendergast deserves WAY better.

@silkyk  NOOOO.  Say it isn't true.  I'm number 21 on the list for the book and am so looking forward to it.  It will be a 2019 book for me.

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@insomniac2, another teacher, bless you!  

Mine are in no particular order, they're all horrible and with the example set by posters on this forum this year I gave myself permission to PTB so thanks so much:

:

The Day She Disappeared by Christobel Kent (PTB) 

Hotels of North America by Rick Moody (PTB)

The Sparrow Sisters by Ellen Herrick  

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney (PTB)

And three horror novels -- probably no one cares to know the titles.

What does PTB mean?

@Ainhisg  it means Pulled The Bookmark (gave up on the book).

Thank you @smoky22!  I googled the letters before asking this but never found anything that sounded like it would have to do with a book.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@insomniac2, another teacher, bless you!  

Mine are in no particular order, they're all horrible and with the example set by posters on this forum this year I gave myself permission to PTB so thanks so much:

:

The Day She Disappeared by Christobel Kent (PTB) 

Hotels of North America by Rick Moody (PTB)

The Sparrow Sisters by Ellen Herrick  

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney (PTB)

And three horror novels -- probably no one cares to know the titles.

What does PTB mean?

@Ainhisg  it means Pulled The Bookmark (gave up on the book).

Thank you @smoky22!  I googled the letters before asking this but never found anything that sounded like it would have to do with a book.

@Ainhisg  I learned it here Smiley Happy   And I also taught myself to pull the bookmark because of this forum -- I used to make myself finish.  Seeing so many people PTB I gave myself the freedom to do it too.

Valued Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I agree!  I was growing so tired of the countless failed suicide attempts.

It lost its comic effect for me.

Trusted Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I know I’m in the minority but I hated Woman in the Window by AJ Finn. The characters were flat and the interactions and relationships seemed very poorly fleshed. It is his first novel and a bestseller but it was drudgery for me.

I hate it as well.  The audiobook voice is so kinda fake and emotionless and all she did is talk about how much she drank wine morning noon or night. I walked away from it after a few chapters ( read and listen)

Not a new book but The Talisman   from Peter Straub and Kind is dreaful boring.

I also could not get through The Woman in the Window.  I got so turned off by the constant drinking and unlikeability of her character.  I decided not to continue with it.