Frequent Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

TESTING TESTING... am i back to SAGAL?

Frequent Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

TESTING TESTING... am i back to SAGAL?

I am - how weird!  Anyway i'm back as SAGal!  I did lose all my post count  - i had thousands and now it's less than 10 or so..........

Honored Contributor

Yay, SAGal!

Frequent Contributor

I just finished THE GOOD NEIGHBOR.  I finished it but like the other comments here it wasn't great.  I thought it was fairly lame.  Good premise but writer didn't develop it.  Wouldn't recommend paying for it.  If it's free it's a fast read and passes the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GibbyP wrote:

AKA SAGal I just finished A HUNDRED SUMMERS by Beatriz Williams.  I enjoyed it very much. It's not one of the best books I've ever read but it was quite enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to her other books - have them on hold at the library.  Enjoy your day - fall is around the corner (well I live in Texas so I guess that's wishful thinking!!)

I really enjoyed A Hundred Summers.  Just checked my temp. here in East Texas 93º right now on this Friday afternoon.  Off to the library in about 30 minutes, desperately need to supply up for the week-end!!

PS. Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz you will love. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I finished Hugo and Rose by Bridget Foley.  It wasn't the lighthearted read I was expecting (too much fantasy, too unbelievbable, even somewhat creepy).  I give it 2 stars. 

Also finished Shake Hands Forever by Ruth Rendell, a very enjoyable Inspector Wexford.  I picked up A Sleeping Life and Means of Evil from the library to read next.  

I'm still patiently waiting for all my books on waitlist to become available.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm waiting for 12 books on hold at the Library - hope they don't all become available at once!  In the meantime I'm reading THE GIRL YOU LEFT BEHIND by JOJO MOYES.  it is a story that takes place in France during WWI.  I'm only about a third of the way through but so far it is REALLY good.  I can't believe the same author could write so beautifully about such different times since I just finished reading ME BEFORE YOU.  

Anyway - if if you are looking for a great story try THE GIRL YOU LEFT BEHIND!

Trusted Contributor

I've been MIA for a couple of weeks, so I'm going to post what I've read most recently:

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Very inspirational in terms of the author's sheer will, but a lot of her behaviors and choices frustrated me as well. Good read.

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

I really enjoy historical fiction, and this one is well written, but   (and this is a big "but") there is nothing happy in this book. It is one depressing, wretched event after another. It got to be exhausting. Still, it was worth reading.

Little Century by Anna Keesey

Really well written but the story itself was a little slow, at least to me. (Maybe because it is about cattlemen and sheep farmers in Oregon?) The protagonist is a young woman who turns out to be stronger than she thinks she is. 

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lachs by Rebecca Skloot

Nonfiction. If you are interested in science, particularly biology, this is really good. 

Respected Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

I'm waiting for 12 books on hold at the Library - hope they don't all become available at once!  In the meantime I'm reading THE GIRL YOU LEFT BEHIND by JOJO MOYES.  it is a story that takes place in France during WWI.  I'm only about a third of the way through but so far it is REALLY good.  I can't believe the same author could write so beautifully about such different times since I just finished reading ME BEFORE YOU.  

Anyway - if if you are looking for a great story try THE GIRL YOU LEFT BEHIND!

I haven't read this one but I loved her book One Plus One.

Honored Contributor

@Vamp wrote:

I've been MIA for a couple of weeks, so I'm going to post what I've read most recently:

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Very inspirational in terms of the author's sheer will, but a lot of her behaviors and choices frustrated me as well. Good read.

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

I really enjoy historical fiction, and this one is well written, but   (and this is a big "but") there is nothing happy in this book. It is one depressing, wretched event after another. It got to be exhausting. Still, it was worth reading.

Little Century by Anna Keesey

Really well written but the story itself was a little slow, at least to me. (Maybe because it is about cattlemen and sheep farmers in Oregon?) The protagonist is a young woman who turns out to be stronger than she thinks she is. 

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lachs by Rebecca Skloot

Nonfiction. If you are interested in science, particularly biology, this is really good. 

I LOVED The Kitchen House, vamp. Have you read Mudbound? or Rush Home Road? I read them all in a row once and just by chance they were all similar. 

smoky, I'm glad you are enjoying the Inspector Wexford novels. I liked them all save one, but can't really remember which 'one'. The last one I read was 'The Rotweiller'. Really good.