Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

You guys are killing me with that Nature of the Beast spoiler thread.  I want to open it so badly but I haven't read the book.  I don't really mind plot spoilers unless you tell me out and out who the killer is that I'm not supposed to know until the end.  Please tell me I can open that thread without spoiling the book for me.

Esteemed Contributor

The killer is not (yet) revealed in the spoiler thread. In fact, that particular plot is almost an afterthought and dispatched quickly at the end. I think my last post discusses plot the most and may contain one spoiler that is discovered later in the book.
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
I just finished reading "The Nature of the Beast" by Louise Penny.

I'm so torn - I really did enjoy most of it; liked it far more than some of her previous. I did enjoy being back in Three Pines as I love so many of the characters there. But, wow, she does throw a lot at you. Won't spoil here, but the connections really strained my imagination. Something also happens - or almost happens - at the end that was completely implausible, but I guess does set up a subsequent book. Regardless, even in fiction, one has to write in a way that is believable for characters to act, and I feel this one incident almost spoils the book for me. In fact, bothers me so much I'm going to comment on it in the spoiler thread. But, I repeat, guess it sets up a subsequent show down.

You really have me intrigued now, as I didn't like a couple of the books either. So glad you didn't go any further with this. I am a person who won't even read the fly leaf when I know the author, because I just don't want to know anything. There's a website called doesthedogdie.com which I love. It tells me in advance if a dog in a movie will die, and then I won't get that movie. Never. Anyway, I have to ask: does the duck die?

Esteemed Contributor

Spoiler alert - the duck does not die.
Occasional Contributor

AKA SAGal I just finished A HUNDRED SUMMERS by Beatriz Williams.  I enjoyed it very much. It's not one of the best books I've ever read but it was quite enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to her other books - have them on hold at the library.  Enjoy your day - fall is around the corner (well I live in Texas so I guess that's wishful thinking!!)

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I'm planning on ordering the Lee Child book, too, but want to finish up C.J. Box's BADLANDS first.  That J.A. Jance one sounds interesting.  

I find Jesse Stone's character kind of depressing:

I agree that the Jesse Stone is depressed, but I still like him.  I sometimes find Joe Pickett's situations to seem sort of hopeless, but I still read those books.  I just have to intersperse those sorts of books with other entertainment that is more upbeat.

Trusted Contributor

Just started "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. I waited a long time on the library wait list for this one. Hope I'm not disappointed. "Broken Promise" by Linwood Barclay is next. I've enjoyed all of his books. 

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
The killer is not (yet) revealed in the spoiler thread. In fact, that particular plot is almost an afterthought and dispatched quickly at the end. I think my last post discusses plot the most and may contain one spoiler that is discovered later in the book.

Thanks, Alter Ego.  Ok, I looked.  Couldn't help myself.  It has what a lot of people would consider spoilers (not me, I don't mind).   I will say, though, it makes me less anxious to read the book.  Still 5 people ahead of me, anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22, re The Nature of the Beast, you should read it.  After you do, come back to the spoiler thread and let us know what you think.  

For me, the best book she wrote was STILL LIFE.  How she got into the characters heads in that book was sublime.  I really loved it.  She set the bar high with that one. I am waiting for another book like that. I have seen it in portions of her other books but none, IMO, were better than STILL LIFE.

Her writing shines in her character development.  That she writes about places I know and have travelled to makes it that much more special so I expect a lot.  HTH.  LM

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

I just finished Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams and really enjoyed it.  It is the 3rd book in a series of 4.  I didn't like it quite as much as the other 2 but still a good read, imo.  I intend to read the last when it comes out.

Then next I read what I consider to be the Best Book of 2015, so far anyway and I doubt anything else will top it.  The Secret Wisdom of the Earth, the debut novel by Christopher Scotton.  Appalachia, Strip Mining and a realtionship between a man (Pops) and his grandson that you won't want to miss.  

I've read a handful of others too since my last post.  Some better than others.  I'll post a short list later...

@MrsSweetieBear, that is quite a recommendation on THE SECRET WISDOM OF THE EARTH.  It's on the list!  LM