Occasional Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Go to the LIbrary Anymore?

I love going to the library as well as reading books on my Kindle.  I love being in a room surrounded by books!!!  Plus I work part-time at a local library.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go to the libarary all the time.  I would not read at all if all I had was some type of electronic devise.....  Nothing wrong with old fashioned reading an actual book.....

Honored Contributor

I love going to the library. No tv there, I leave my phone in my purse and my tablet at home. It's the only place where I can really relax enough to read . I bring my Kindle but I also look at books they have. Last week I checked out two Nora Ephron books that I want to reread.

Of course there are the annoyances-people on phones, people talking loudly, etc. One day it was especially bad so I complained to a librarian-she said they want the library to be a place for socialization. So the library isn't what it used to be. But on the right day at the right time it's quiet and for me it's bliss.

I also love sitting by the magazine area and looking at all kinds of magazines. When I was a kid I wanted to be a librarian, I started my own home based library with my brother.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

I haven't been in a library for 20 years.   As a kid I stayed up half the night to read, and often finished books in one day.  Then I had kids and kept pretty busy for several years.   When I tried to take it up again, the print was too small and gave me headaches.   So until Kindles came around I had stopped reading.  

My son reads more than I do and we went to the library often for him, but when he got his first job he started buying books as he likes to reread like I do.   I want to own them.   He's a total tech geek but he still reads DTB's.  He owns a couple kindles but doesn't use them much.  I've sent him a couple cookbooks for them.  LOL.

I'm also lucky that I have a high book allowance.  If that changes I have enought books to last a very long time, and I often reread as well.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

We are fortunate to have a very large public library near us.  DH and I go to the library every two weeks.  We borrow two week books (sometimes 7 day books) and can renew them if we don't finish them in that length of time.  DH is an avid reader and reads 6 or 7 books in two weeks, sometimes more.  For Christmas and birthday I purchase several books for him and after reading them he keeps them in his personal bookcase.

Our library also has a large magazine section.  Once magazines are no longer current month, they can be borrowed for a week.  This cuts down on a lot of subscriptions.  We can also borrow movies and CDs but our preference is books.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I love going to my library.  Mine is not noisy at all and I still enjoy the thrill of hunting for a book on the shelf!  I download books onto my ipad from the library too, but I love stopping in when I can.  Our library also holds many events with speakers on assorted topics and lots of programs for the kids and families.  I live in a pretty small town, maybe that makes a difference.

Honored Contributor

@hgsuddle wrote:

I work for a large county system.  I work at a busy branch, with another branch 5 minutes away in a more upscale neighborhood.  That branch is the busiest in the system with the worst parking. It is not close to public transportation so driving there is a must.  The days of quiet in the library are gone.  People are self-absorbed narcissists who have no manners and don't teach their children any manners either.  The children ask for help or something else with no "please" and/or "thank you". The children have meltdowns and are loud and screaming.  Some parents don't take their children to the restroom early enough and just tell us their child had an accident on the carpet.  Ummm... 

People check out enough DVDs to start their own video store.  I can't imagine watching that much TV with some due back in 4 days and some in 7 days.  If they are popular and have "holds" on them, they cannot be renewed.

I especially hate the fact that we have paper tax forms as a service to those who still file by snail mail.  The IRS gives us limited forms and booklets.  People get very offended when will only print them one copy and tell them if they want more they have to copy it themselves on the copier for 15 cents a page.  Everyone wants something for nothing and expects it from the library. 

We also fax paperwork for people on welfare to collect their benefits.  Don't even get me started on that.  I understand the neccessity of benefits for some, but for others.....makes my blood boil. 

I love the library and think it has great resources.  However, DVDs are more popular than books.  I find that sad. 

If it weren't for the people I work with and some friendly patrons, I probably would find another job.  It certainly has been eye-opening and not in a good way.

I am glad you don't work at my branch.  

Occasional Contributor

I always buy book on Amazon right now

Trusted Contributor

It depends, for novels or fiction I am totally hooked to audio books, I am suscribed to Audible that also belongs to Amazon A good narrator can destroy or rescue a novel and these books are great to listen to while you are traveling. For non fiction or the classics I am very old school and yes I still go to the library🌻or buy them second hand even in tag sales.

Trusted Contributor

yes,  i work in the library and i love it.  but i don't have time to read as much as i would like to .