Honored Contributor

Do you remember a book you had to read for school, that you hated?

All Quiet on the Western Front.  I just remember that!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember a book you had to read for school, that you hated?

[ Edited ]

Moby D i c k

Honored Contributor

Grapes of Wrath...😕....struggle and slow to read.  Book report due but I lucked out and movie was showing on TV.

I can't believe my parents let me stay up late to watch it.

Then I wrote the book report.  Ha! 

Honored Contributor

No, I don't remember ever having to read an assigned book in school.

I read all of the time and have since about third grade.  My school moved me to the 8th grade class for reading while I was a 3rd grader since my reading level was so advanced.

I spent the next several years reading and doing the same 8th grade assignments....it was super boring and super easy.

I can honesty say, I have never read a book I hated.  I read anything I can get my hands on.

Respected Contributor

Probably Animal Farm.  I really did not care for it at all.

Loved the other books we had to read though.  Charles Dickens books were my favorites.  Shakespeare was interesting too.  I was blessed with a wonderful high school English department and had the same wonderful teacher for both my Junior and Senior year.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't remember actually getting through it, or what it was about, but first thing that came to mind was "Sidhartha?" (not even sure I spelled that right.) Don't remember actually "hating" any book, just ones that were borrrrrring and so hard to plod through. That was one. Pretty sure I never actually finished it.

Also, have to say the Philosophy books like Plato's Meditations and the others in that series....always seemed like I "should" be well read enough to get through those and understand all their philosophies...but...alas....I didn't, and don't. I did understand it all when discussed in class, but don't remember any of that now.

When emptying my childhood home to sell...those didn't make the cut to save from school. Felt like I should, that they are classics and that I should have, as an older adult, given them another try...but...then I got real with myself! Life's too short not to read books I actually want to read now! And...I've only so much storage for my book collection. So...should I ever get curious 🧐 again...there's the library for that. Won't happen, likely....probably turn on Netflix before doing that!

@qualitygal I actually thought I remembered liking All Quiet on The Western Front...but don't remember much about it now. Jeez, looking at my post...what DID stick with me? lol.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Moby D i c k

@haddon9      Me, too.    And I just didn't "get it".    I skipped pages, and sometimes a whole chapter.     

I had to write a book review, and I PASSED.  (I don't think the teacher read it, either.)      di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

To Kill a Mockingbird was the first. We read the book, then watched the movie in class. I was always a voracious reader.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Outsiders 😃

but I didn't really hate it

Trusted Contributor

A Tale of Two Cities