Valued Contributor

Re: Do you remember a book you had to read for school, that you hated?

Oh yes. I'll never forget. It was The Count of Monte Cristo. 

Let's just say I had really procrastinated and then found the only way out was to lock myself in my bedroom for the weekend and...READ! I only came out to eat. Ha! But I finished that long book and was prepared for school on Monday. And oddly enough I really loved it!!! 

Honored Contributor

Most of the required reading in highschool have been banned in a lot of states, including mine. Kids are missing out on some great literature.

I have purchased a few of those books and borrowed others from the library to re-read. 

Honored Contributor

'Catcher In The Rye' was always the popular book we read in high school.  

In today's skewed world, I believe this is a banned book in many states' schools.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read all of the time, so I don't remember an assigned book, but I will never forget reading Shakespeare 's Julius Caesar. It was in 10th grade and our teacher would read from the play and she brought it to life. We had to memorize Mark 

Antony's funeral speech, and I remember it to this day. I guess I misread the question, but I just can't remember hating any assigned books. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

The Thorn Birds

As a freshman in high school I was assigned this book to do a book report including an oral report for the class.  I went to a Catholic high school!  Can you believe it?  As a fourteen year old in a Catholic high school,  I was so embarassed to give my oral report.

Esteemed Contributor

Shane. I hated the book and also skipped ahead. 

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

The Thorn Birds

As a freshman in high school I was assigned this book to do a book report including an oral report for the class.  I went to a Catholic high school!  Can you believe it?  As a fourteen year old in a Catholic high school,  I was so embarassed to give my oral report.

@ninjawife     EEEK!    I saw the TV movie...and I can't even imagine reviewing that with a NUN in the room...      di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi No nun thank goodness but nonetheless very embarassing.  I could not imagine a nun, presit or deacon (we had them all as teachers at my school) assigning that book.  A lay teacher assigned the book and I figured she never read it or wanted me and the class for that matter to be embarassd.

Honored Contributor

A list was put up for each to choose a book and write a book report. I chose They Were Expendable because I had seen the movie and thought it would be a piece of cake. Well, I was lost from the start. Seemed like a lot of technical stuff (I THINK) and I could not get thru it and I had no interest in anything so I just tried to recall the movie and wrote about it as best I could. I can't even remember what mark she gave me, but I'm sure it was low.

Respected Contributor

The Scarlet Letter.

Probably banned in my state in the current culture; a story about an adult, male, religious authority taking advantage of a young, impressionable female?  It would never happen, right?