Respected Contributor

Re: Do you read books in series?

@sandy53 wrote:

I thought of another good series:

The Wind River mysteries by Margaret Cole.

I always recommend reading series books in order, but I don't think you need to obsess about it.  Sometimes I start with the newest book to see if I like it and then start the series back at the beginning to read the rest.

@sandy53  That series sounds really good.  It looks like my library only has the first one, but I'll start with that and see how I like it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  

Respected Contributor

I love to read books in a series because you get to know the characters and how they evolve.  Here are some of my favorites.

Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly

Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths

Atlee Pine series by David Baldacci

44 Scotland Street series  

#1 Ladies Detective Agency series

both by Alexander McCall Smith

I have also enjoyed the Jane Whitefield series by Thomas Perry, although I think the earlier ones are much better.  And the first one is the best.

Joe Pickett by C.J. Box is a favorite of Mr Smoky. 

Frequent Contributor

@smoky22 I agree that most Connelly books are good.  Have you read the Lincoln Lawyer books by him?  I think there were about 5 of those.  I'll look up the Atlee Pine series by Baldacci because I liked Will Robie so much.  King and Maxwell is another good series by him, and I've heard good things about the Camel Club series but never started it.

I have the first Elly Griffiths, so thanks for reminding me of that!

One other idea for people:  Patterson has two recent books about FBI data analyst Emmy Dockery:  Invisible and Unsolved, and I think that is a series he will continue.  The first book Invisible is probably the creepiest Patterson book I've ever read.  Also, Patterson had a previous book out called Black Book and it appears that he is continuing that character in Red Book out this year

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

I thought of another good series:

The Wind River mysteries by Margaret Cole.

I always recommend reading series books in order, but I don't think you need to obsess about it.  Sometimes I start with the newest book to see if I like it and then start the series back at the beginning to read the rest.

@sandy53  That series sounds really good.  It looks like my library only has the first one, but I'll start with that and see how I like it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  

I spelled the author's name wrong.  Oops!  It's COEL, not Cole.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The majority of my reading is non-fiction - so when I do read fiction, I want to get away from reality.

For Sci/Fi and Fantasy - usually yes.  It's my "escape reading."  

• Ransom Riggs' Peculiar Children series.
  • Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
  • Piers Anthony's various series - particularly Incarnations of Imortality and his Xanth series
  • Frank Herbert's Dune series
  • J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series
  • Ann McCaffrey's Dragonrider of Pern series
  • Anne Rice's books - her witch series, vampire, etc.   Her "singles" are really good also.  

Fiction: 

- T. M. Doran's three book series:  Toward the Gleam, The Lucifer Ego, and Kataklusmos  (eta:  just finished this last one a couple of days ago)

Respected Contributor

@sandy53   I'm glad you mentioned the name of the series (Wind River) as I found it that way.  I have the first book on my kindle. I'm always looking for a good series.    

Respected Contributor

Stevieb, I am so enthralled with all of Miss Read's books. I borrowed most of them from the library, over time, and also bought the handful of other books I could not find.

I LOVE MISS READ.

Honored Contributor

as a child I did.... The Bobbsey Twins... and  The Borrowers.... and more.. I read lots of books!

As an adult I just stopped reading books... with TV and internet... I do not put time aside to just read. 

Respected Contributor

I finished writing a 4th novel in a series in November. I write under an anonymous pen name and upload to kindle. When I wrote the first book in this series I had no plans on writing a series, but I liked the main character & events and thought it would be interesting to include the character in other novels. The books were not written in chronological order; they stand alone; and the 4th one has the prior main character as a minor one.

Do I read books in a series? I don't have time. I haven't read a series since I read Thomas Wolfe.

Frequent Contributor

Hi! I absolutely read the books in order in a series even if they are ok as standalones.  Most of the series I’ve read do have character development along the way and you would really miss out if you hadn’t read each one from the beginning.  For example the Inspector Ganache series by Louise Penny.

My longest series (and I have actually listened to each one in order) is the “In Death” series by JD Robb. Those books are simply the best! The narration is perfection.  They have kept me busy for years of commuting.