Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you read books in series?

@icezeus I will check out some of the series you mention.  Quite honestly I would tell you to stop with the Kay Scarpetta series while you're ahead.  I just kept reading because I felt compelled, but #12 or so is where it stopped being good.  Every book became she was living somewhere else and doing a different job (at one point she was suddenly in the army?). Also, the stories with Lucy got weird and Marino's character who was always flawed but good at heart completely changed.  Patricia Cornwell said she got bored with the series, and about the last 8 or so books definitely show that!

Respected Contributor

I do read them in order, but I do not read the .5 books. I don't know why. They don't interest me. The little stories writers have started writing between books. Book 1.5 between books 1 & 2, etc.

I seem to read different books than you all read, but I will list some of my favorites, just in case someone might find something new to read.

C.J. Box-Joe Pickett series

Patricia Briggs-Mercy Thompson & Alpha & Omega series.

Anne Bishop-The Others series.

Dana Stabenow-Kate Shugak series.

Faith Hunter-Jane Yellowrock & Soulwood series.

Carrie Vaughn-Kitty Norville series.

Marc Cameron-Jericho Quinn series.

Lee Child-Jack Reacher series.

Respected Contributor

I love cozy mysteries and I always read them in order. Yes they are always series. I enjoy the way the characters are the same in each book and you get to know them more as the series goes along.

Trusted Contributor

If there are a lot of books in a series about certain characters that continue with each book, I read from the 1st book in the series. Some books, like Stuart Woods, should be read from the beginning because of the returning characters and their adventures. John Grisham books do not need to be read in any particular order as the characters change from book to book.

Respected Contributor

@icezeus   I also have read all of the series you mentioned except J A Jance (Ali Reynolds)  I like J. A. Jance's series with Sheriff Joanna Brady tho.  How about Jack Reacher by Lee Child.  I miss Sue Grafton - loved her alphabet series.  Then there is Jonathan Kellerman and Faye Kellerman, Thomas Perry's Jane Whitefield series. So many, can't think of any more - too late at night, my brain's tired!  Oh and Linwood Barclay and Sarah Graves.

Regular Contributor

I LOVE The Chronicles of St Mary'sl series by Jodi Taylor. It's absolutely fabulous and extremely witty but can also be thought provoking and poignant.  I highly, highly recommend them.  I think she's up to 13 books now and the first one is called Just One Damned Thing After Another. 

Esteemed Contributor

I try.

Esteemed Contributor

@rissajaneen wrote:

@icezeus I will check out some of the series you mention.  Quite honestly I would tell you to stop with the Kay Scarpetta series while you're ahead.  I just kept reading because I felt compelled, but #12 or so is where it stopped being good.  Every book became she was living somewhere else and doing a different job (at one point she was suddenly in the army?). Also, the stories with Lucy got weird and Marino's character who was always flawed but good at heart completely changed.  Patricia Cornwell said she got bored with the series, and about the last 8 or so books definitely show that!

@rissajaneen 

First of all thank you for starting this thread, I am going to look up some of the series recommendations from other posters on GR to see if they interest me to read. 

It's funny that you mention the Patricia Cornwell series with Dr. Kay Scarpetta. I sort of lost interest after Benton Died, and then he miraculously appeared a few books later. 

I forgot to mention another series that I am reading. The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (The Grave yard Queen series). If you do not like paranormal type of themes this would not be a series for you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rissajaneen wrote:

She's not the only one that got bored with the series and I agree, later books just all seemed to jump the shark in one way or another and I stopped reading...  Heralded writer and yet none of her other series ever seemed to really take off... Guess that's why she wrote through her boredom... 

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I thought of another good series:

The Wind River mysteries by Margaret Cole.

I always recommend reading series books in order, but I don't think you need to obsess about it.  Sometimes I start with the newest book to see if I like it and then start the series back at the beginning to read the rest.