Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you read books in series?

Phillippa Gregory's books about the British monarchy during the period from the War of the Roses through Elizabeth I. I don't know how historically accurate they are , but they're well written and very interesting.

Super Contributor

Yes, yes, yes. I read the series in order, sometimes driving myself crazy getting all the books.

Like others, love the earlier Kay Scarpetta novels then they just got crazy. Same with Clive Cussler. Really enjoyed the early books but as Dirk Pitt disappeared, the stories got too busy for me.

Enjoy lighter reading with the Virgin River series and now watching the series on Netflix. Another fav is J.A. Jance with the two series, one featuring Joanna Brady and the other with J.P. Beaumont.

Honored Contributor

@WildDunes wrote:

Yes, yes, yes. I read the series in order, sometimes driving myself crazy getting all the books.

Like others, love the earlier Kay Scarpetta novels then they just got crazy. Same with Clive Cussler. Really enjoyed the early books but as Dirk Pitt disappeared, the stories got too busy for me.

Enjoy lighter reading with the Virgin River series and now watching the series on Netflix. Another fav is J.A. Jance with the two series, one featuring Joanna Brady and the other with J.P. Beaumont.

@WildDunes 

Never heard of this one .... is it romance or mysteries ... or something else?  

Frequent Contributor

My favorite series!  It's phenomenal!  

Super Contributor

Yes I do enjoy some and try to read them in order.  But I don't want a steady diet of all series.  Sometimes it works out that I might read a couple in row but usually I read many stand alone novels inbetween series titles.

I have Anne Cleaves Vera Stanhope #8 that just came in on my library Holds. Have enjoyed them all so far.

Also, Ken Follet's "Winter of the World", the second installment in his Century Trilogy is in my reading que.

I just read #3 in the Seven Sisters series by Lucinda Riley and #4 is on order.

I also like Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache and Elly Griffiths Dr. Ruth Galloway series.

Can't forget Diana Galbadon's huge Outlander books!

Tana French Dublin Murder Squad books and Robert Galbraith Cormoron Strike series are excellent.

I also really liked Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series.

And for wise cracking dog loving lawyer fans, I still enjoy all David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter books.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Respected Contributor

I haven't finished a complete series since Clan of the Cave Bear.  I've read a few books in several other series since but anymore if I see a book is book 1, I won't start.  There are so many series by not-so--great authors, I just can't waste any time on them when it appears to be a marketing ploy and only maybe, even fat-chance, will the following books be excellent and hard to put down.  

Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen ................I too loved the Kay Scarpetta series in the beginning, then I did not care for them and stopped reading them.

I like reading book series and do so often.  One of my favorites is John Grishams Jake Bragance series.  Another is Tony Hillermans Sgt. Leaphorn and Jim Chee.  I now read his daughters series about Jim Chee and Bernadette Manuleto ( Chee's wife.)  The other I perfer is JA Jance and her Joanna Brady series.  I love mystery, murder and mayhem.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@rissajaneen ................I too loved the Kay Scarpetta series in the beginning, then I did not care for them and stopped reading them.

I like reading book series and do so often.  One of my favorites is John Grishams Jake Bragance series.  Another is Tony Hillermans Sgt. Leaphorn and Jim Chee.  I now read his daughters series about Jim Chee and Bernadette Manuleto ( Chee's wife.)  The other I perfer is JA Jance and her Joanna Brady series.  I love mystery, murder and mayhem.

@Imaoldhippie 

Me too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

I haven't finished a complete series since Clan of the Cave Bear.  I've read a few books in several other series since but anymore if I see a book is book 1, I won't start.  There are so many series by not-so--great authors, I just can't waste any time on them when it appears to be a marketing ploy and only maybe, even fat-chance, will the following books be excellent and hard to put down.  

@Free2be 

Oh my goodness. I remember when I was in the 7th or 8th grade taking one of these books off my mothers bookshelf and reading. I did not know that it was part of a series and I do not even remember which book it was but I am going to start this series, thanks for the memory.  

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Ann Rice "Vampire Chronicles" series.

John Sandford "Virgil Flowers" novels.

Daniel Silva "Gabriel Allon" series. 

@teganslaw 

How would you describe this series?  Mystery ....  political thriller .... something else?   TIA