Contributor

Re: Cookbooks: Do You Have a Favorite?

I love America's test kitchen tv shows, and often copy recipes from there. They work really well. So your suggestion is tempting.  Also anything Ina  G , aka barefoot Contessa, will not disappoint.

Honored Contributor

Dog cooking

A must if you cook for your dog (s)

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I love all the cookbooks that use to be put out by churches and clubs, where everyone would send in their family favorites. I seem to always go to one of those when looking for a recipe. They are tried and true and usually easy too! 

Valued Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

My favorite was my mother's Old Settlement Cook Book. I learned a great deal from that book, along with watching Julia Child and my grandmother. I have and love my grandmother's filled recipe box. I also liked a Betty Crocker cook book.

I used to have that one. Someone borrowed and kept it in the last 10 years. 

Valued Contributor

The ones I use the most are The Glory of Southern Cooking by James Villas, Trisha Yearwood's Family Favorites and Delish, Eat like Every Day is the weekend. 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG @alliswell This book is available on Amazon $9.11 Free shipping.  Check it out. 

Coffeedrinker 

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker 

@AuntG 

Do you mean this one:

Jeanne Bice's Quacker Factory Christmas: Simple Recipes, Fabulous Parties & Decorations to Put Sparkle, Not Stress into Your Season (The Quacker Factory)

Respected Contributor

@alliswell Yes, looks like the same book.

Respected Contributor

Before I forget, from 1971, "The Chef's Secret Cook Book," by Louis Szathmary.  Everything in this book is as "spot on" today as when it was written over 40-years ago. The recipes are well illustrated and easy to follow.  This cookbook is one of my favorites.  It is relaxing just reading Chef Louis' recipe secrets.

The Chef's Secret Cook Book, a Practical, Personal Invitation to Classic Cookery

Honored Contributor

That's adorable, @Drythe 

I have some cooking for dogs books, but had not seen that one. I may just add that to my collection.

As to cooking for humans, it's changed over the years.

I still have my falling-apart copy of Betty Crocker's cookbook, which still reveals some basics that some other cookbooks may not have.

Someone's in the Kitchen with Dinah [Shore] has the best recipe for cornmeal pancakes!

In later years, I liked Craig Claiborne's NY Times International Cookbook. It has a delicious caraway seed soup with dumplings that I used to make every winter. 

THE NEW YORK Times International Cook Book Craig Claiborne 1971 ...

These days, Ina Garten is the one I use most often, if I'm looking for a particular recipe.

On the other hand, grilling salmon and eating it with a green salad doesn't really need a recipe. Nor does making an all-vegetable soup like I did today. All it took was raiding my freezer!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.