Respected Contributor

Re: Cookbooks: Do You Have a Favorite?

@alliswell I have my mothers cookbook that she purchased years ago.  It is called "Bell South Cookbook" from the phone company.  There is literally 400 pages and she has made notations on numerous recipes that were her favorites.  My mother passed away in 2016 and it holds a special place in my heart and my home!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like my Jane Brody's Good Food Book from many many years ago. My original is long gone and I've since found more used copies at local bookstores. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Epicurean , America's Test Kitchen is one of my favourites.  Will check out Cooking for Two.  LM

Honored Contributor

The one I like has to do with nostalgia and a time when I truly enjoyed QVC. Jeanne Bice from Quacker Factory offered a Christmas cookbook. I set it out each Christmas and browse the pages - recipes aren't healthy but it's comfort food.

Occasional Contributor

What is the title of Jeannes cookbook?  I don't ever remember her talking about it, maybe this was b4 I became interested in QF.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

love cookbooks!  Even with the internet, I'm still drawn to cookbooks and enjoy browsing when I see them in stores.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I like those which preface the entry with a favorite story about the recipe and why they like it. For that reason, I've always been a fan of the church/club cookbooks. The old mall store, Waldenbooks, used to have tables full of these "community" cookbooks. I still have them--with their $1.95 price stickers lol. Also, you'll find those homespun stories in the Gooseberry Patch series of cookbooks. Same with Applehood and Mother Pie. 

I also still have this cookbook, from about 10 years ago, as I love soups and stews:

51DGq0Hm-oL.jpg

I guess I just like reading cookbooks!

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

I have my Mother's Betty Crocker Cookbook from the 1950s which I learned to cook with. That one has fond memories. The most useful all around cookbook with everything, is Joy of Cooking. It is like an Encyclopedia.

Honored Contributor

@heirloom wrote:

What is the title of Jeannes cookbook?  I don't ever remember her talking about it, maybe this was b4 I became interested in QF.

----

@heirloom she called it QUACKER FACTORY CHRISTMAS. When the libraries open up, try to get a copy. I truly feel it was written when everything in her life was clicking - grateful for everything.

Respected Contributor

I have favorites and they are my Greek cookbooks that I got on my trips to Greece in the 1980's and living there in the mid 1990's.   Even tho' I mainly use the internet for recipes, I rely on them when I need a recipe for a Greek dish that I haven't made a million times.   

Respected Contributor

I love these....

The Western Junior League Cookbook, The Eastern Junior League ...