Honored Contributor

Barbara Kingsolver or Anne Tyler?

I see that both Barbara Kingsolver and Anne Tyler have new books out now.  Is anyone reading them or about to?

Just curious.  It's been a while since I've read either author but I especially like Kingsolver.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Barbara Kingsolver or Anne Tyler?

I started the Anne Tyler book. I read 117 pages and gave up. Nothing happened. Very boring.

Honored Contributor

I'm reading my first Kingsolver book--Prodigal Summer--and while I find it interesting I guess I'm just more interested in faster paced books, e.g., Grisham, DeMille, etc.  I have read Tyler in the past but neither one is on my "must read" list.

Respected Contributor

I think Barbara Kingsolver is okay (I own/have read all her books except two), but I love Anne Tyler!

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach  I think Barbara Kingsolver's new book (Unsheltered) comes out in October.  I definitely prefer her over Anne Tyler.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a huge Anne Tyler fan. In my eyes she can do no wrong; even books of hers I liked the least were still wonderful.

I have so many favorites I can't remember them all now. I especially loved Ladder of Years, Breathing Lessons, and Back when we were Grownups.

I'm thinking that this newest one, Clock Dance, may be her last book. I'd be so sad if it were, but it's just a feeling.

I've never read a Barbara Kingsolver book but I have several of them on my TBR list. It's just that they're so long...

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

I've never read anything from Barbara Kingsolver.  I did just finish Clock Dance.

About 1/2 way thru the book, I was forcing myself to read it - something has to happen here ... but I did finish it.

After finishing it, I get the premise, the "ah-ha" moment, but it literally put me to sleep everynight.

I will have to check out Kingsolver now.

Esteemed Contributor

I've read one Barbara Kingslover (The Poisonwood Bible) and more Anne Tyler.  The BK was an audio download, I had the book for more than 10 years (it was a gift) and it was never at the top of my pile.  I did enjoy listening to it, but I NEVER would have read it. 

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever downloaded one by Anne Tyler.  Always read them.

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

I loved the Poisonwood Bible.  For me, it was one of those books that I became engrossed in.  I've read it twice already.  Now seeing the title, I think I might have to pick it up again.