Frequent Contributor

When / How do you listen to Audible?

[ Edited ]

I absolutely LOVE Audible! Before Audible I listened to books on tape, CD, playaway, etc from the library, all to help ease my long commutes. 

However, I have recently found a new job 5 minutes from home - no more hour-long commutes!  As a busy working Mom with 2 teenagers, those car rides were the only time I really listened.  Before bed, I like to read actual paper books or magazines.  I feel like if I listened to a book at bedtime I would fall asleep immediately. 

I need some advice on when other people listen to audiobooks.  Otherwise, I wonder if I should cancel my subscription.  With all the 2-for-1 credit sales, I still have >25 unread books in my library!  I thought about trying to listen while taking a few minutes to craft, but I tend to concentrate so much when I'm crafting, it might not be relaxing and would be like bad multi-tasking. I don't think I could listen and do a workout either... I need a lot of fast-paced music to have an effective workout.  The car was my personal, quiet time, and I just don't know when, at home, I can find that time elsewhere...

I wouldn't trade the new commute though!  Smiley Wink

Any ideas?

Valued Contributor

Re: When / How do you listen to Audible?

I like to listen while I’m ironing, doing laundry, cooking or waiting in the car when picking up my grandchildren at school. I also listen when I am putting on makeup and getting ready in the morning. 

Honored Contributor

Before bed or while I’m cooking dinner. 

Valued Contributor

I have always wanted to do audio books but find I wander off so never do ! Just read the kindle and hard covers.

Respected Contributor

I listen to audiobooks in the car. Even if I'm not driving that far, this really works for me.

Regular Contributor

I love to listen to my audiobooks while I do household chores, like laundry!  I hate doing the laundry - the sorting and the folding...Ugh!  Audiobooks make it bearable.

I also like listening to them when I shower. I use my Bose speaker hooked up via bluetooth with my phone and listen when I loofah!

Neither give me tons of listening time, but when you add in the car time as I drive kids all over and drive to work or the store, I get my "reading"in!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of the shower. That’s a good idea. I also sometimes listen to music while doing laundry. This would also be a good alternative!

Occasional Contributor

I walk 3 miles a day with my Fitbit and Audible and headphones. Sometimes I get so caught up in the book the time really flies and so do the miles.  I feel so much better - I love Audible!

Respected Contributor

I listen while reading the ebook and it allows me to get up and do other things and listen

Respected Contributor

In the car, in the shower, getting ready for bed, cleaning, etc. I live alone and the only TV I have is in the living room, so I play my audiobooks while I change my sheets and clean the bedroom or when I clean the bathroom. It turns unpleasant tasks into something I don't mind. Smiley Happy

I have an Amazon Echo in my bathroom and use it to listen to either NPR news in the shower on weekdays and audiobooks on weekends. The Echo picks up wherever I left off on the app on my phone (and vice versa), so I'm always on the same "page" of the story. That makes it easy to listen to the book while I'm getting ready for bed. I love to put on a Korean sheet mask and listen to my audiobook or a meditation app for 10-20 minutes before bed a few nights a week.