Respected Contributor

Re: APRIL 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

For our book club's April selection, I recently finished Winterland by Rae Meadows.  It is a serious look, in fictionalized form, at the training of young female gymnasts in the Soviet Union years.  There's a lot more to the story.  It is historical fiction, but I also learned some things through the stories of the main characters.  The setting is mostly in a town in Siberia.  I thought it was well done and would recommend the book.

Esteemed Contributor

Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke wrote a series that I enjoyed reading. It’s part of the “Under Suspicion Series.” Goodreads describes it as A suspense series about a television program featuring cold case murders. As some might know, Mary Higgins Clark died in 2020 at a well-lived 92.  There was one book left in the series that I have been putting off reading since that would mean the end of the series for me. Last night, as I requested more books from the library, I looked up what I thought to be her last novel, which was published the year she died to my surprise and delight, another book is being released today. Four years after her death.

It had to be you by Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke

Perhaps this book was in the works when she died, since both of their names are on it. 

Respected Contributor

Mary Higgins Clark-I was just thinking about her and her books the other day.  They were contemporary settings, modern problems and situations and the "bad guy" always got caught.  The reads were fast and easy.  I loved them because at that point in my life, I was working full time and raising kids.  I loved to read, but didn't have a lot of time for that activity.  A Mary Higgins Clark seemed to fit in my busy life somehow.  I also remember the author photo was always special.  Mary Higgins Clark dressed beautifully, had lovely makeup and hair styles and had a beautiful smile.  She looked so classy and elegant.  She wrote and sold a lot of books!

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@abbalulu wrote:

I read Born A Crime by Trevor Noah which was extremely interesting and I learned so much about his life and life in general in South Africa. I have heard that the audible book is even better with Trevor doing the reading himself. The one thing that it is missing is that it doesn't talk about his transition into a well known personality-that information would have been interesting to know too.

I also read The Second Husband by Kate White which was a thriller about a woman whose first husband was murdered and then circumstances make her start being suspicious of her second husband. Kate White writes some pretty good fast paced books and I'm surprised we don't hear about her more but I guess now a days the thriller genre is pretty bloated.

@abbalulu 

I have added The Second Husband to my TBR list. 

So have I! You had me at "fast paced thriller!"

Me too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't realize I haven't been posting all month besides the last post that I read Be My Baby (nf) by Ronnie Spector.  Here is what I've read since then.

The Singles Game - Lauren Weisberger

The Connellys of Count Down

In Sickness and In Health/Yom Kiupur In A Gym (novella/flip book)

The Medicine Woman of Galveston

Sisters Like Us - Susan Mallery

I'm sure I had a dnf too since there is always one or two.

Esteemed Contributor

I have just finished The 17th Suspect by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. No surprise here. This is a series that I enjoy reading. There are two mysteries to be solved which are also common for this series. One involves homeless people being killed (I was surprise at the Killer) the second mystery involves a man who was raped by a woman at gunpoint. The case goes to trial so the intricacies of that case were interesting.

I am now on to read Count to Ten by Karen Rose.

Honored Contributor

I just finished The Little Liar  by Mitch Albom. I got the name from this forum. I liked it a lot but was confused by the way he writes. I kept looking for a clue that it's a true story-sure sounded like it, but finally found it-it's fiction. WWll era. Jewish families are the main topic I think. The grusomeness (is that a word) of their treatment and how one incident on their journey in a boxcar on the way to 'the camps' has a big part in the story. And how one child is the little liar and how he changed. Too hard to explain but a good book. If you're interested you can find a much better review online.

Honored Contributor

I finished Never Lie by Freida McFadden, it was good.....

I am now onto November 9 by Colleen Hoover......I have never read anything by her, so curious if I will like her books..... 

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN , I don't think I have read Hoover either so look forward to your review.

Respected Contributor

I just finished The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger.  It was a book I put on hold ages ago at the library.

I really enjoyed this book.  A story with several layers and rich character development.  I was in the perfect mood to read this book and rate it 4.25/5* which is generous for me.

Storyline...

A body of a wealthy landowner, Jimmy Quinn, is found shot and assumed murdered by many. His body is found floating half naked in the Alabaster River. The investigation is thrown into the lap of Brody Dern, a returned honored veteran, the sheriff, who bears many internal and external scars from the war.