Respected Contributor

Re: "Black eyeliner looks too harsh on older women."

Then I went out last night looking "too harsh",and I loved it! 😁

Respected Contributor

No blanket statement works for everyone. I will wear what I feel looks good on me no matter what anyone else says about my age. I have long hair and am "old" (over 40 haha). 

Esteemed Contributor

Black eyeliner looks too harsh on a lot of younger women too.  It depends on a woman's coloring and how it's applied.   I'm very fair and I would never wear black eyeliner or black mascara now or in my youth. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My eyelashes are black so, even though my skin is fair, applying a thin line with black eyeliner just makes me look like I have thicker eyelashes because it "fills in" the spaces between my lashes. I smudge a dark grey powder eyeshadow over the line to soften it, curl my eyelashes (they're very straight) and use a lengthening mascara and at 60, that works for me and doesn't look harsh.

ETA: I should clarify, I use the grey eyeshadow more to "set" the liner than to soften it (it still looks back after I apply the shadow) and this makes it "bullet-proof" all day!

Valued Contributor

Totally agree. Case in point: the Breezies lady (the mother) who sports 70s makeup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As women age their complexion does change and become much paler. Probably that statement is correct. Most ladies I know have totally given up on eyeliner because their unable to see well enough without glasses to apply it. When older ladies get permanent eyeliner done they generally get taupe - pretty, defines the eyes but is much softer and not harsh. I am talking about ladies in their 60s and 70s not 40s.

Honored Contributor

I'd like to know which  Youtuber said this so I can see what SHE looks like. I find that women who state that once you're over 40, you're old, can't do this or that, etc. have a certain "look", shall we say?

Instead of saying "you shouldn't do this or that" it should be "Girl, ROCK whatever it is that makes you feel FREAKING FABULOUS!!!"  and SUPPORT each other with our choices.

WTH, you know?

Honored Contributor

Sometimes women do their MU a certain way for years - decades - and don't realize that as they are aging that look no longer works well for them. Same with hair color. As we age we need to soften the look - imo - less is more as we get older and most of the experts agree with this.

Contributor

I think if an 'older' women (40 isn't exactly older!), wants to wear black eyeliner and feels good in it, then she should go for it.  

Black eyeliner has never looked good on me.  It has nothing to do with age.  It looked horrible at 15 and still looks horrible at 50.  I feel that it is too harsh for my coloring and features.  That is my opinion about me!  Actually, brown doesn't look that great on me either.  I prefer charcoal or dark blue.  (gasp...yes, I am 50 and wear dark blue. lol)

I have friends in their 50s that look great with black eyeliner.  

Valued Contributor

I used to wear subtle black liner in my 20s and 20s when I still had some color in my skin . and my hair.  Now I am extremely fair and let my natural color grow in which is platinum.  I found out years ago black liner makes my eyes look small and is just too harsh looking now with my coloring.  I have blue eyes and like Tarte gel pencils in bronze or plum which make my eyes bluer but are not drastic.  I also apply it over shadow and blend so it's not an obvious lined look.  Works for me!