Respected Contributor

Re: "Black eyeliner looks too harsh on older women."

A lady I know wears a quick sweep of black eyeliner on the lower lashes -- and that's it everyday.  I always thought it looked odd. 

Respected Contributor

@segrl21

i can't even picture that.  the one person that i know that has amber eyes wears black and it's stunning with the contrast. 

interesting what differenences people have.  i would love amber eyes.  you rarely see them!

Respected Contributor

Personally, I can't find a liquid brown eyeliner that doesn't look black...so it really doesn't matter which color I use.

I agree that it mainly depends on how it is applied anyway.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I don't care for black liner on me (I am fair with medium blond hair), but I do like a navy liner.  I often wear a golden brown on top and a navy on the lower.  Most days I wear a golden brown all around.  My eyes are blue and the color of this brown liner makes them even bluer.

Contributor

I hate eyeliner anyway and NEVER use it other than extreme circumstances. It's the one makeup tool i've never mastered =P

Esteemed Contributor

I have a grey Nars eyeliner that is softer but I must be doing something wrong cause it smudged horribly.   I used to be skilled at application but I think I need a refresher course.

Respected Contributor

I haven't tried the Nars eyeliners, but I like a lot of Nars products.  I have found no matter what the eyeliner is I have to make a conscious decision after application to sit quietly and look down for at least 30 seconds for it to set properly before continuing with my makeup.  If I planned ahead I could check my phone for messages or something like that!

That doesn't sound like long but it surely feels like it if you are impatient or in a hurry, but it is worth it.  A minute is better, and when I do this my liner doesn't smudge and looks perfect.

Right now for my hooded mature eyes I am loving the Marc Jacobs Beauty higliner gel liner pencils, gorgeous, don't smear, last all day.  

Super Contributor

40 is older? Not from my perch. I'm 61, so 40 is still a babe. Ah, boy.

I have to agree partially. Heavy black liner on the lower lids looks awful at any age, and to me, is very aging for older eyes. But I've never liked a dead black on my own eyes, and I stay away from a winged look, as well. I prefer dark blues, bright blues, plums, espresso browns, even dark greens or greys to black. For me, with dark lashes and brown-gold-green hazel eyes, it's too flat.

I had a coworker who wore a heavy black liner too far from the base of her lashes. It looked clownish, but she was so sweet, I couldn't bring myself to tell her.

Super Contributor

I cannot go without black eyeliner on top lash line.  This will not be changing with age either!!!   I do not like hearing that, "harsh" -- it's totally wrong!